Monday, September 25, 2017

The Unholy


Director - Camilo Vila (The Worms, 18 Wheels of Justice)
Starring - Ben Cross (Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), William Russ (Boy Meets World, Deadwood), and Hal Holbrook (Creepshow, The Fog)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Seduction.  Submission.  Murder.  Tonight...evil goes over the edge"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     People fear different things.  Some find rodents and snakes scary while others have a fear of dolls or heights.  Some have a real fear of being stalked by a serial killer or being raped while others are afraid of the dark.  Everyone has that one thing they are afraid of and that is what makes horror movies so much fun.  Personally, I find organized religion to be scary.  Religion, of any faith, spawns radicals that are unpredictable and extreme.  I don't find religion to be a scary topic but I do find those that practice religion to be potentially scary.  This is why I normally don't watch religious based films.  Not long ago Vestron Video released the 1988 religious horror film The Unholy on blu.  I enjoy most of the Vestron Video releases so I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a priest, Father Michael (Cross) who survives a horrendous fall.  The church offers him his own perish with a dark history.  The previous two priests was killed at the altar while praying.  Father Michael jumps at the opportunity but quickly finds himself stuck in the middle of a drug addicted waitress and her ties to a satanic club that has used the church before as part of their gimmick.  Soon Father Michael finds himself under fire from a beautiful woman that is actually a demon.
     The Unholy is one of the many horror films that I had heard about over the years but never had the time to actually watch it.  I've had the film for several years on DVD.  It was included in an 8 pack DVD set with the likes of Waxwork and a few others.  I always enjoyed the dark and foreboding imagery the artwork for the film has but I never had the time to check it out.  I'm glad I did.  I really enjoyed the cast.  Ben Cross, as most of you may recognize as Spock's father in the new Star Trek films, was fantastic.  He is great as Father Michael who is the "chosen one."  He is a strong lead and takes control of every scene.  I was also shocked by William Russ and his character.  I grew up on Boy Meets World and it was weird seeing him owning a satanic club.  He was fantastic and easily my character in the film.  He did an amazing job and created a character that I won't be forgetting soon.  The story for this one is slow moving but it does deliver tons of character development and dark imagery.  The film does a great job at delivering dark atmosphere while slowly bringing the story to a boil.  Finally, this film doesn't have a ton of on screen kills but the few we do get are fucking gruesome.  The film doesn't shy away from the blood and the practical effects are fantastic.  Overall, The Unholy is a very underrated 80s horror film.  I loved the character development and darkly atmospheric story.  I highly recommend this overlooked gem.  Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment