Friday, September 15, 2017

Tank 432


Director - Nick Gillespie (Samuel and Emil vs The Word, The Shadow Seamstress)
Starring - Rupert Evans (Hellboy, The Boy), Steve Garry (The Fallow Field, Rough Around the Edges), and Deirdre Mullins (The Frankenstein Chronicles, Whitechapel)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "There's no turning back"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     After watching several no budget indie flick I wanted to mix it up a bit and check out something a little more polish.  I recently checked out the two Sasquatch films Mountain Devil and Something in the Woods.  Aside from those I was able to watch and review the indie films Betsy and Slimed.  All these films are great but I sometimes I like to mix it up a little.  A little while ago I was sent the psychological horror film Tank 432 by Scream Factory in conjunction with IFC Midnight.  I was on the fence about this film due to the fact that most of the film's running time takes place in a tank.  I then had to remind myself that the film Battery takes place in a car and is easily one of my favorite modern zombie films.  I went into it with an open mind and I'm glad I did.  I actually enjoyed Tank 432.  Once again I want to thank Scream Factory for allowing me to check this out.
     The film follows a military unit making their way through a desolate countryside when then encounter women locked in freight liners.  They take them out and are immediately under fire from an unknown enemy.  They continue their march through the countryside until they find an abandoned tank.  They empty it out and climb inside to seek refuge.  However, their fight is not over when they discover a strange medication inside the tank that is mentally taking its toll on the inhabitants.

     I heard some rough things about this film going into it.  A lot of horror fans complained that it was a boring film with little to no action.  I can see their point but I personally enjoyed it.  Tank 432 may not be one of the most enlightening horror films I had ever seen but it was still entertaining.  The acting in this one is pretty entertaining.  Each actor delivered a unique character that was both very well portrayed and memorable.  I really enjoyed Rupert Evans and Michael Smiley's performance.  Their characters were great and well balanced.  I was a little disappointed that Smiley was not more utilized.  Great casting on the film's part.  The story for this one is very bold but does come across as underwhelming.  The psychological horror angle does come across as weak and almost undermines the raw horror the beginning of the film establishes.  The film would have been a powerful tale of claustrophobia if it would have abandoned the psychological aspect.  Finally, the film does have a few on screen kills but they are rather lackluster and boring.  Most involve gun shot wounds.  The effects are great but once you seen a great gunshot would you've seen them all.  Overall, Tank 432 is far from perfect but I enjoyed it.  It has several noticeable flaws but the overall film is enjoyable.  Check it out. 
    



No comments:

Post a Comment