Friday, July 20, 2018

Death Wish 3



Director - Michael Winner (Death Wish, The Mechanic)
Charles Bronson (The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven), Deborah Raffin (Grizzly II: The Concert, The Sentinel), and Ed Lauter (King Kong, Cujo)
Release Date - 1985
Genre - Crime/Action
Tagline - "He's back in New York bringing justice to the streets."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     If I like a movie I tend to watch the sequel, prequel, remake, whatever with some excitement.  While most people bitch and moan about a new film I go into it expecting a good time.  I had never seen the first Death Wish film until recently and once I saw it I was a fan.  Sure, it wasn't nowhere near as good as people made me believe but it still entertained.  The sequel was more of the first film with nothing new but it was just as fun.  Sadly, because the second film didn't offer up anything new I was a little burnt out of the Paul Kersey story after just two film.  I decided to push on through and check out the second film on the Death Wish double feature.  This third entry in the film would become my favorite of the series.  Thank you Umbrella for the hook up!
     The film once again follows Kersey who is visiting NYC to see an old war buddy.  Right as Kersey enters the apartment building his friend is murdered by a gang.  The police find him standing over the body and accuse him of doing it.  They rough him up but eventually the inspector recognizes him.  With crime on the rise in the city he lets Kersey go if he can help them clean up the city.  Kersey settles into his old friends apartment and sets his sight on the gang responsible for the death of his friend. 
     Death Wish 3 may not break the mold for the series but it definitely made it even more fun.  This installment could have been extremely bland but DW3 made it over the top and fun.  The acting in this one was way more enjoyable than the first two.  The cast seemed to embrace the exploitation and really got into their roles.  Their characters are fun and you wont be forgetting them anytime soon.  Also, Bronson fucking smiles.  Not a little smirk like in the other films but a real fucking smile.  I think he may have this acting thing down now.  The story for this one breaks away from the rape and revenge of the first two films.  Instead, it went down the gang war film similar to 1990: Bronx Warrior.  I absolutely loved the way this series turned and I loved the story given to us.  Finally, the film does has some on screen kills.  These kills are just like the other two films and deliver gun shots that require minimum effects.  Overall, Death Wish 3 is fucking fantastic.  I could have used a little more blood but I still loved it.  Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment