Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Death Wish



Director - Michael Winner (The Mechanic, Bullseye!)
Starring - Charles Bronson (The Stone Killer, Chino), Hope Lange (Fantasy Island, A Nightmare On Elm. St. 2: Freddy's Revenge), and Vincent Gardenia (Little Shop of Horrors, The Twilight Zone)
Release Date - 1974
Genre - Crime/Action
Tagline - "Vigilante, city style - judge, jury and executioner"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I started reviewing films I wanted to review old movies that people may have never heard of or forgot over time.  Some of you may remember my early reviews on my blog where I tackled old Chuck Norris films and forgotten early 80s action films.  The Charles Bronson classic Death Wish is one I always heard about but never had the chance to see it.  Recently Umbrella Entertainment sent me Death Wish 2, 3 4, and 5 on blu.  This was the perfect time to check out the original classic before working my way through the series. 
     The film follows Manhattan architect Paul Kersey (Bronson) who is working late one day when his wife and daughter visit the grocery store.  They leave their items for delivery and head home when a group of thugs find her address in the box of groceries.  They go to their home and beat his wife to death before gang raping his daughter. Crime in the city rises and Paul takes to the street with a revolver to eliminate those breaking the law.
     I had heard so many amazing things about Death Wish for years now.  In fact, I had heard so much praise that I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the hype.  After seeing the film I can see why so many people enjoy it.  It is a fantastic film but not the best exploitation film I've seen.  The acting in this one is ok to say the least.  The supporting cast is fun and do a great job but Bronson doesn't sell the film.  He sells the emotionless killer that had his family ripped from him but during the incident he shows no fucking emotions what so ever.  Almost as if he didn't care his wife was dead which makes the vigilante killing seem not so bad ass.  The story for this one is fun for an exploitation action flick.  It's pretty straight forward but a little disappointing that we don't see Jeff Goldblum's and a few of the other's die.  Seems like a few details was left out along the way.  Finally, we do have a few on screen deaths that are simple.  The violent deaths are a result of gun shots so we get very little practical effects and blood.  Those wanting the red stuff will be disappointed.  Overall Death Wish is a classic and I can see why so many love it.  You need to check this one out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment