Monday, April 1, 2019

South Mill District



Director - Joe Meredith (Teratomorph)
Starring - Toby Johansen (Slimoids, Backyard Vampire), Cidney Meredith (Teratomorph), and Joe Meredith
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Where the line between human and alien is blurred..."
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
 
     I discover a lot of interesting horror films just browsing the horror groups on Facebook.  Sometimes I come across movies I've never heard of before and other times I discover filmmakers with several films under their belts that are new to me.  One director that I recently discovered is Joe Meredith who is the director behind the two shorts South Mill District and the follow up Teratomorph.  I loved the artwork for them so I reached out to Joe and grabbed a copy of each to check out.  I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed them.
     The film takes place on a world ruined by an alien war where the last remaining humans are living experiments for the Eon Corporation.  We then follow two of these former test subjects are they wonder the desolate wasteland while an alien spider is incubating inside of them.




     I honestly had no idea what to expect from South Mill District but I do know I was fucking excited.  After I received the film I was told by a friend that it reminded them a lot of James Bell's work but with more focus on story.  That was enough to give me a boner.  The film hit hard and didn't let up.  The only downside is the film's short running time.  The acting in this one is not your typical performances.  The scenes are done with just one person so there is not much dialogue but the cast still does a fantastic job.  They really get into their roles and have fun doing it which shows.  The story for this one is very intriguing.  I really liked what Meredith was going for.  Sadly, this story is so much bigger than the short we are given with limitless possibilities.  That is my biggest complaint with the short.  I hate that it is a short.  We have a story that can go anywhere and we are given a 20 minute short.  I understand it takes time and money to make a movie but this story has so much to be told.  Finally, this film has several scenes for you gorehounds.  We get some traditional stop motion creatures with some outstanding practical effects.  I loved the look of the creatures along with the other practical effects.  Meredith has a style all his own and that stands out when it came to the creatures.  Overall, South Mill District is a visually pleasing and gruesome horror short.  It packs a punch but the short running time does leave the viewer wanting more.  I highly recommend checking this one out. 
    





No comments:

Post a Comment