Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot



Director - Robert D. Kryzkowski (Elsie Hooper)
Starring - Sam Elliot (Road House, Justified), Aidan Turner (Being Human, The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey), and Sean Bridgers (The Woman, True Blood)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Adventure/Drama
Tagline - "An American myth"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
 
      I love weird movies and I love when a filmmaker takes a chance with a movie that is very different than anything else you can find for the time.  That's why I love Troma so much.  Their movies are always unique and off the wall crazy.  Sometime ago I received a press release for the adventure drama The Man Who Kills Hitler and Then Bigfoot.  This movie looked like it was mad for me.  It fucking has Sam Elliot, Nazis, and bigfoot.  I honestly can't think of anything else I would want to see just in the title alone except maybe boobs.  A few days ago I was contacted about review copies of the film and I couldn't pass it up.  Thank you for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check  this one out. 
     The film follows Calvin Barr who is asked by the U.S. and Canadian government to kill bigfoot who they suspect is carrying a deadly plague.  He is tasked with the responsibility because he is responsible for going undercover during World War II to kill Hitler. 
     I honestly don't know what kind of film I was expecting but the movie given to me was nothing like I had envisioned.  The movie is entertaining but it could have been so much more.  The acting in this one is solid.  Sam Elliot delivers a superb performance along with Being Human star Aidan Turner but the rest of the cast just falls flat.  The characters are extremely unlikable and the cast does nothing to make them stand out.  They are written flat and performed that way.  The story for this one was my biggest hang up with the film.  We follow Calvin Barr as he daydreams about being younger before World War II about the life his lived and the woman he loved.  This is a solid story but having it split up into smaller scenes scattered throughout the film makes it difficult to follow.  Honestly, the film would have been more effective if we followed the elder Barr has he was asked to kill bigfoot and then we got the entire flash back at once before returning back to Barr before he tracks down bigfoot. This would have made sense.  Instead, the film we are given is confusing and awkwardly edited.  Finally, if you want blood and gore you will have to look elsewhere.  We do get a fun diseased bigfoot and a few small effects here and there but the film is solely story focused.  Overall, The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot is a messy film that can still be fun.  The story is unique but they definitely dropped the ball. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment