Monday, July 22, 2019

The Night of the Virgin



Director - Roberto San Sebastian (Making Of, The Line)
Starring - Javier Bodalo (Ghost Graduation, The Devil's Backbone), Miriam Martin (Campus, Rabia), and Victor Amilibia (Velvet, Nun)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Evil has no gender"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I just spent the better part of a week watching the Spanish horror franchise [Rec].  I'm not a fan of found footage so the first film was a bit of a chore to sit through but the second film on was fantastic.  After checking those out I was ready to move on to something else.  I checked out my review stack and saw the 2016 Spanish horror comedy The Night of the Virgin that was sent to me a few months back from MVD.  This was the perfect follow up to the [Rec] series.  Thank you MVD for sending this one over for Horror Society and myself to check out. 
     The film follows virgin Nico (Bodalo) who is at a New Year's Eve party pressing his luck with any woman willing to show him any attention in hopes of finding one just drunk enough to sleep with him.  After many failed attempts he meets the mature Medea (Martin) who takes him back to her place.  She is a bit of a odd duck but he only has one thing on his mind.  He goes with her and she gives him a strange drink before the two settle in but things take a dark turn when her boyfriend Spider starts calling and knocking on the door interrupting them.  To make matter worse is he finds a cup of blood in the bathroom.  When she passes out from drinking he decided to rub one out with her panties but accidentally mixes her blood in the cup with his cum setting in motion an even stranger night for the young man.
     I had heard a lot about this on social media.  After posting that I had received this in for review I had several people comment that this was a fantastic film and one of their favorites of the year.  I was looking forward to it but I can honestly say that it was not as awesome as I was lead to believe.  It was a solid watch but it was far from amazing.  The acting in this one is great.  I really liked the characters and the cast does a fabulous job at bringing them to life.  I love when a movie gives the viewer unusual characters instead of boring clichéd characters.  These characters were very fun and made the movie just as fun.  The story for this one is different and kept the viewer on their toes but it does get rather slow and boring in several scenes.  I liked the goddess angle and the fertility but some of the dialogue heavy scenes were a bit of a chore to sit through.  A little tighter writing and some slight editing would make this film so much more enjoyable.  With that being said, the humor in this one is extremely flat.  The comic relief struggles with the timing and the jokes just don't pack the punch the scene really needs.  Finally, we do get some great on screen practical effects.  The deaths, or death, is very limited in this film but we get several amazing and bloody gags.  The film does not shy away from the blood for sure.  Overall, The Night of the Virgin is a entertaining film but still has it's faults.  I had fun with it but I don't see myself revisiting this one in the next few years.  Check it out.  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment