Thursday, April 11, 2024

Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV


Director - Lloyd Kaufman (The Toxic Avenger, The Class of Nuke 'Em High)
Starring - David Mattey (House of the Dead 2, Supernatural), Clyde Lewis (Nightfall, Nightbumpers), and Heidi Sjursen (I Was a Trannie Werewolf, PDA Massacre)
Release Date - 2000
Genre - Action/Comedy
Tagline - "A tale of two Toxies"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've been a huge fan of Troma for many years now. The original Toxic Avenger was my introduction into the wild world of Troma. It wasn't long after that I was exploring other Toxie films. During my initial viewing of the four films making up the Toxie-verse, I found myself really drawn to the first and fourth film. These two films feel completely different from one another, yet they still pulled me in. It's not often that I watch the first Toxic Avenger and not watch the three sequels but when I do, I still toss in the fourth film. Citizen Toxie is among my favorite Troma releases, and I want to thank MVD and Troma for sending this one over in the Toxie 4K set to check out. 
      The film follows Toxie who finds himself blasted to an alternate Tromaville when a gang known as the Diaper Mafia blows up a school for special needs kids. His alternate counterpart, the Noxious Offender, is sent to his Tromaville. While Toxie is here, he meets Evil Kabukiman who is a drug dealer with Noxious. Now he must fight to get back to his world with his expecting wife before Noxious ruins his life. 
      Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger Part IV is a stereotypical Troma film with shock value humor, colorful characters, and a story that still fits in the Toxie-verse. It's radically different than the first film but can easily be compared to later Troma films like Poultrygeist and Terror Firmer. It's not perfect and not as gritty as the original but it stands out especially when compared with the two previous sequels which is known for how much fans dislike them. The acting in this one is a lot of fun. We have a lot of colorful characters that are reminiscent of cartoon characters which is something I love. It's easily the most over the top in regard to acting out of the four Toxie films and probably my favorite acted one. The story for this one is a lot of fun and once again the ballsiest of the Toxie films. We have some of the most offensive humor in all the Tromaverse mixed with some extremely funny gags, a lot of action, and a plot that works. I really liked the opposite spin on some of Troma's favorite characters, the new characters created for the film, and how the story plays out. It's a lot of fun and even though the film does try to push shock value by being offensive, it doesn't really take away from the overall film. Finally, the film has a lot of DIY practical effects that I really enjoy. We get more of the head crushing antics of Toxie that we know and love along with many more bloody moments. The effects are easily the best in the Toxie series but none of them hold up to the fish scene in part II. Overall, Citizen Toxie is a must see for Troma fans especially those just now getting into their films. It's a worthy sequel to an iconic character and doesn't disappoint. I highly recommend this 4K release.

No comments:

Post a Comment