Thursday, November 22, 2012

Witchouse



Director - David DeCoteau (Retro Puppet Masster)
Starring - Matt Raftery (Undressed), Ariauna Albright (The Dead Hate the Living!), and Monica Garnich (Hell-O-Ween)
Release Date - 1999
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Evil Beyond Evil"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Witchouse Trilogy)
Favorite Quote - "My god is way older than your god"

Rating (out of 5):

     Back in September I went to a horror/sci-fi convention with just a few dollars to my name.  I went there in hopes to score all the Razor Sharp films, which I did, and I got such a good deal I was able to go other places to buy a few more films.  However, with my luck, there was no other venders offering movies that I wanted to own.  Once I left the con, me and my wife stopped by the Dollar General to grab something drink and snack on when I was surprised to see they had a small DVD selection.  After going through the movies they had, I quickly lost what enthusiasm I had.  The selection consisted mostly of Kung-Fu Panda 2, Captain America, Thor, Public Enemies, and movies of the like.  Those movies are not bad at all, but I was looking for horror movies.  Once again, my wife comes to my rescue and finds two Full Moon box sets.  One was a three film set called "Devildolls" and all three films were about killer dolls (who knew Full Moon made killer doll movies).  The other set was the Witchouse Trilogy.  I was unfamiliar with this series but the cover art suckered me in.
     The film opens with a young couple attending a party.  Once they arrive they are unable to find anyone in the giant mansion.  The pair decide to get naughty before any one else arrives.  However, they are interrupted by a person lurking in the shadows.  The two are then stabbed and the movie moves on to six college students who are attending that same party.  They were invited by someone they hardly know for an odd party. Ashley, who is a bit different, is actually a descendent of Lilith LaFey.  Lilith was a witch that was murdered three hundred years ago by the ancestors of the party goers.  By using them in a ritual ceremony she is able to bring Lilith back to life and possess the descendents to have them do her bidding.  After performing the ceremony, the group is oblivious to Ashley's motives, but they do not like the direction the party is going and many of the group members want to leave.  The group separate and go their own ways.  The stoner and his girlfriend go off to toke up, while another couple head off to screw around.  Also, a boy who had a class with another female go off on their own because they both secretly like each other.  Finally, there is a nerdy guy that is scared about the entire ordeal and as a good movie goes, he is the first to die.  Slowly, each member of the group is possessed and turned in to sharp toothed demons that serve only Lilith.  As the movie progresses every member is  murdered or possessed except for the boy and girl that had class together.  In a game of cat and mouse the two are able to destroy Lilith and Ashley.
     This is definitely the bottom when it comes to Full Moon movies.  The cover art suckered me in when I grabbed this three film set for $10.  I really liked the story, even though it was poorly executed.  The whole idea of the witch being resurrected in a ceremony by the descendents of those that killed her is very clever.  I also liked the way Lilith looked when she was resurrected.  Unfortunately, that can not save this film.  The film is choppy when it comes to the scenes.  We are jumping from character to character until everyone is dead.  The movie would have flowed a lot better if everyone would have stayed together and died that way.  I also did not like the deaths in the film.  They all happened off camera which offers nothing to the viewer.  We watch movies so we can see it unfold in front of us.  If everything happens off camera then we would be better off reading a book and let our imagination take over.  On top of all this we have to suffer through horrible sounds of thunder and light flashing throughout the film.  It does not help with the atmosphere, but instead, aggravates the viewer and makes it difficult to set through.  Other than the look of Lilith, this movie skips on the special effects.  This is strange where it is a Full Moon movie who is known for their puppets and monsters.  Overall, this is a weak film that does not offer anything to the viewer.             




  

No comments:

Post a Comment