Sunday, September 1, 2013

Car Nex

Writer - Terry M. West
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Format - Ebook (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     My whole life I have always heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover."  I am guilty of doing this all the time but it is so damn hard not to.  Artwork is easy to sucker you in to read or watch something that could possibly be shitty.  It also sets you up for what could be something really worth the price.  That is what I thought when I first saw the cover for Terry M. West's short story Car Nex.  I absolutely loved the artwork and after finishing A Psycho's Medley I had to give it a read.  The title confused me a little so I had no idea what to expect.  However, I knew after reading the story the title would make sense I just had to be patient and give it a go.
     This short follows a group of men as they barricade themselves in a barn.  A ferocious beast is chasing them after it had devoured most of the town.  One of the men, Adam, is the cause of all this.  He found the book in his attic and was consumed by it.  One day he finally caved in and read from it and that brought the Car Nex, carnivore from the nexus, in to this world.  The beast made it's way through his family before setting it's sights on the town.  After it feasted on the locals it chased the group in to the barn and is fighting to find a way in.  The beast eventually breaks in and kills everyone except Adam.  This is when Adam realizes that the Car Nex is tied to him and only his death can send it back.
     I have read a lot of books in my short life but I haven't read many in the last few years, however, West's A Psycho Medley sparked that love all over again.  I really enjoyed that book and was pumped to read Car Nex.  After reading it I can gladly say it is one of the best horror novels I have read.  West should be called an artist instead of an author because he can use words to paint a picture better than any other author I have encountered.  His writing is so detailed making it easy to actually picture the entire scene.  His writing style is also easy to read.  Some books I have read have a hard time following the story but this one does not stray away and is extremely easy to read.  The story is nothing that original but it is told in a new way that makes the viewer not want to stop reading.  It intrigues and draws the reader in unto the point of being obsessed.  The only downside to this short is that it is short.  This is one of the few times that I was utterly disappointed that I reached the end.  West should really extend this story or do a follow up to it.  Overall, this is a bloody good book and the pun was well intended.  I highly recommend this read.


No comments:

Post a Comment