Wednesday, September 18, 2013

World War Z



World War Z (2013)
Directed by:  Marc Foster
Starring:  Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz
Format:  Netflix Streaming

     Couldn't wait to see this movie.  Not because I wanted to see it, a PG-13 zombie film isn't my idea of something that I'd like or should even exist.  But I couldn't wait to see if I was right or wrong since there are some so-called reviewers and friends who liked this travesty of a movie and I just couldn't wrap my head around a bloodless, goreless zombie movie.  Eh saying it didn't have any at all isn't fair it did because I remember the needless, useless cgi blood tossed around a few times.  I'm sorry I have no idea why any true zombie fan or horror fan could like this.  It was just terrible.  The infected fx were garbage cgi, the zombies moved like cheetahs on steroids, even some of the flew through the air like they had jets on their feet, and the toppled over one another like they were insects.  And to be honest it's not a zombie movie it's an infected movie.  If they aren't dead they aren't zombies and for the majority of what I saw I don't recall seeing anything "undead".  I must admit I was so disgusted the end is kind of a blur to me because at that point I had laughed so hard at the stupidity of the film in general I was just totally not enjoying myself enough to keep hold of my ADD.

     We follow Gerry Lane (Pitt) and his wife (Enos) and their two kids at first and I must admit they didn't waster a lot of time getting things moving.  First scene pretty much the infected start coming along with the chaos they have induced on the city all around them.  Cars and trucks crashing and running people over in a mad panic to get away from what they didn't even understand at that point.  Gerry's car gets smashed by another and he gets his family out and away while surveying the frantic goings on all around.  Including watching an infected turn and counting the seconds in which in took the woman to change after being bitten.  Why he thought to do this I have no idea.  They make it to a drug store to get meds for their daughter and like a moron Gerry tells his wife to go off on her own with one of their daughters.  Well duh she gets attacked by looters although it looked to me like they were trying to rape her.  Then there in a building with some other survivors and I really must say the whole movie up to this point and after just felt like a 28 Days Later rip off and far less well made haha.
  
     I don't get Mar Foster...the man has directed some damn fine movies like Finding Neverland (F the haters) Monsters Ball, and one of my personal favorites Machine Gun Preacher but this movie wasn't near their caliber.  Sure it had it's moments but it was just so popcorny and just utter crap.  Gerry is on a plane at one point and the infection begins to spread on board so what does he do he throws a grenade on a plane.  I just couldn't stop laughing...yeah that wouldn't automatically bring the plane down.  I usually hate those kinds of comments but sometimes it's just too much to suspend your disbelief. 
     The shining star of the film was definitely Daniella Kertsz.  Her role in the film was great very much enjoyed her emotional abilities.  She is bitten at one point and before the "infection" can spread to her body Gerry cuts off her hand and wraps her up.  He counts "one thousand one, one thousand two..." and on up making sure she doesn't change.  Excellent acting to say the least...as was Brad Pitt per usual but I'm a former huge fan of Pitt.  Just wish he would have never met Angelina Jolie since it has been since that for me I lost enjoying the actor he was previous to her inclusion in his life.  
   
The effects in the movie cgi wise were terrible and the movie is just overdone with it to the point of being ridiculous.  Every scene with the infected toppling over one another is just silly.  Also throw in the flying infected to which at one point I almost fell off my bed in hysterics.  Some of the explosions and what not were very cool but it didn't save the look of the fx overall.  Way too much cgi period including as I said before my hated cgi blood which for me there is no excuse for...make the mess and clean it up.  Having said all that I am not a hater of cgi just poor cgi because it makes the movie look like a video game no practical effect does that no matter how bad it is.  And honestly I don't understand how big budget films take a look at this and go with them it really shows their lack of respect for the art of film and the obvious fact that they just want what's easiest and quickest.  I hated this movie before I even saw it yes it's true but I hated other films like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake before I saw it and I retracted everything I said at the time...not this time.  Garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment