Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Windrider


Director - Vincent Monton (Fatal Bond, Point of No Return)
Starring - Tom Burlinson (The Time Guardian, Flesh+Blood), Nicole Kidman (Cold Mountains, The Others), and Jill Perryman (Flight Into Hell, Clowning Around)
Release Date - 1986
Genre - Romance/Drama
Tagline - "Power. Justice. Darkness. Light"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm an 80s movie whore.  I love 80s cinema regardless of genre.  Sure, horror is where my heart is but I'll watch any fucking genre I can get my hands on from that decade.  I often find myself starring at the sets, fashion, and culture of the time while submerging myself in the soundtrack and slang.  Sometime ago I was sent the 1986 Australian romantic comedy Windrider from MVD.  I was curious why someone would send it to me for review but I was still excited to check out an 80s flick I had never seen before.  Thank you MVD for sending this one over because I really enjoyed it.  
      The film follows P.C. (Burlinson) who is obsessed with windsurfing.  He uses resources from his father's company to design a better performing sail and board for an upcoming competition.  He gets distracted when he meets the gorgeous Jade (Kidman) and realizes that there is more to life than just windsurfing to life.  His life takes a downward spiral after they split up and his father encourages him to get back into competition windsurfing.  He agrees and signs on to a major competition but he is caught up in a cheating scandal with another competitor but Jade arrives and encourages him to continue and confesses her love for him.
     I started writing reviews so I could check out and review old action and exploitation flicks that had been lost over the years.  I then found myself getting absorbed by my favorite genre, which is horror, before getting tossed into the world of sexploitation.  Now I'm sitting here reviewing an Australian romantic comedy.  With that being said, I had fun with Windrider.  It was a great break away from the bloody and sleazy that I normally review.  The acting in this one is very entertaining.  Kidman does a great job as the gorgeous rock star that changes P.C.'s life.  However, the film centers around Burlinson.  He does a phenomenal job in his role and his character is so 80s that you can't help but become fascinated by him.  The story for this one is pure Australian and painfully 80s.  The 80s was a time when obscure sports could be turned the plot of a film.  Windsurfing is something one wouldn't expect to be the topic of a film but it works this way.  The romantic angle is not too overpowering with the story and the drama counter balances the film.  There is a few slower scenes that may try your patience but it still works in the end.  Finally, no blood in this one.  Instead, we are given an 80s character piece that has some highs, a little lows, and a little laughs.  Overall, Windrider was a surprisingly fun 80s romp that I could see playing alongside Hard Bodies or Private Resort.  Check it out now on blu now from MVD!



No comments:

Post a Comment