Thursday, November 21, 2019

Forever Knight


Creators - Barney Cohen (Thundercats, Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and James D. Parriott (The Bionic Woman, Transylvanian Curse)
Starring - Geraint Wyn Davies (The Outer Limits, Trilogy of Terror II), Catherine Disher (X-Men: The Animated Series, Goosebumps), and Nigel Bennett (The Shape of Water, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues)
Release Date - 1992
Genre - Horror/Crime
Tagline - "Meet Detective Nick Knight.  When the sun goes down so does the crime rate"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was growing up in the 90s I was obsessed with television.  I was a Nickelodeon kid but Goosebumps took precedent over anything.  When nothing was on I was interested in on my normal channels I would often jump around channel surfing until I could find something.  I came across some awesome shows this way but there was so many more during this time that I missed because of where I lived.  When I started collecting DVDs I came across a few DVDs for the television show Forever Knight.  It looked familiar but I couldn't recall the show so I skipped it.  Sometime back Mill Creek Entertainment released the complete series on DVD and I thought I would check it out.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a review copy over.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows Detective Nick Knight who works nights in Toronto.  Nick is also over 800 years old and a vampire.  He hopes to use his powers for good and save mankind from things that go bump in the night in order to atone for the evil acts he committed before finding his way.  
     When I tossed the show on I found myself enjoying it while trying to figure out why it felt so familiar.  I couldn't recall watching the show before but I couldn't help but feel like I had watched an episode or two before.  Regardless, I really enjoyed the show and can see myself revisiting it sometime in the future.  The acting in this one is decent but there was more time than I can count where I was rolling my eyes by how much the cast was hamming it up.  The characters are fun but they often slip away into the cliched void of day time soaps.  I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the character.  As much as they reminded me of a soap opera I still had fun with them.  The story for this one has an arch that sometimes spans several episodes but most of the episodes are stand alone with Nick fighting a supernatural baddie or a criminal.  It was fun and reminded me a lot of Big Wolf on Campus and Brimestone.  They are on the slower side but if you stick with it the ending always makes up for the slow build up.  Finally, if you are looking for fantastic looking gore and kills you will be disappointed.  The kills we get take place off screen and due to the budget of the show we are rarely given practical effects.  Overall, Forever Knight is a forgetten and underrated early 90s horror crime series that may be rough around the edges it still delivers on the entertainment.  Check it out on DVD now from Mill Creek Entertainment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment