Friday, November 22, 2019

Tone-Deaf


Director - Richard Bates Jr. (Suburban Gothic, Trash Fire)
Starring - Amanda Crew (The Haunting in Connecticut, Final Destination 3), Robert Patrick (The Faculty, Terminator 2: Judgement Day), and Hayley Marie Norman (Hancock, iZombie)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The struggle is real"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Sometimes I get a press release for a movie and it just doesn't intrigue me.  Either the artwork for the film is bland or the synopsis fails to inspire my imagination.  Sometime back I received the press release for satirical horror comedy Tone-Deaf starring Robert Patrick and Amanda Crew.  Robert Patrick became a legend in the film industry for his portrayal in Terminator 2: Judgement Day.  He has cranked out a few other solid films since then but everyone remembers him from T2.  Honestly, I wasn't interested in the film and seeing his name attached to it did nothing for me.  That all changed when I came across Amanda Crew's name.  I became a huge fan of hers when I first watched Sex Drive.  She's absolutely gorgeous and I love her characters.  It's because of her that I sought out The Haunting in Connecticut.  
     The film follows Olive (Crew) who was just let go from her job and finds out her husband has been cheating on her.  Her friends suggest that she leave the city for a few days to recharge.  She's hesitant at first but agrees.  She finds a house for rent and books it for a week from a widower who is struggling with dementia.  His lapse in reality makes him realize that he never got to feel what it was like to kill someone.  He now plans on killing Olive in the very home his wife once lived but doesn't realize how much of a fighter Olive really is.
     I really wanted to like Tone-Deaf.  The artwork for the physical release may have been boring but seeing Amanda Crew was worth it.  The movie does miss it's mark and comes off as goofy at times but there is some charm to be found in it at time to time.  The acting in this one is solid.  For the most part I really liked Amanda Crew and Robert Patrick's performance.  They really are dedicated to their role but the characters they portray are so fucking cringey.  The film tries to play on the social warfare between the boomers and millennials with both characters being extreme examples of each.  The cast really tries to make the characters entertaining but what we get is two extremely annoying characters.  The story for this one has it's moments but there is several aspects of the movie that turned me off to it.  I liked the young woman getting away from it all and renting a home from an older man that is slipping mentally worked.  It pulled me in and I couldn't wait to see where it took me.  Sadly, it lost me when the character of Harvey, played by Patrick, would break the fourth wall and go on his boomer vs millennial rant.  It took what would be a very credible horror film and made it goofy as fuck.  I love a good horror comedy but this made the movie feel painfully awkward.  Finally, the film has plenty of blood.  Harvey is a relentless killer and the kills are swift and brutal.  We don't get a lot of gore but we do get plenty of blood and some nice practical effects.  One death scene is ruined but some horrible CGI but that is one out of the whole film affected by this.  Overall, Tone-Deaf is a solid concept but the fun is lost in the execution of the film.  The film deserves a watch but don't expect something that will stick with ya.  




No comments:

Post a Comment