Sunday, January 10, 2021

Nightmare Sisters


Director - David DeCoteau (Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge)
Starring - Linnea Quigley (The Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Demons), Brinke Stevens (The Slumber Party Massacre, Savage Streets), and Michelle Bauer (Demonwarp, Night of the Living Babes)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Something hellacious has gotten into the girls next door!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in high school I met a a like minded guy who liked horror movies.  It was rare to find someone with the same tastes in movies in the small town I grew up in.  After high school we started hanging out a lot and our circle grew by a few more.  We would usually sit around drinking while watching horror flicks.  One night one of us ended up with a copy of Nightmare Sisters and we watched it.  I don't remember a lot about it but I do remember laughing a few times at it.  When Vinegar Syndrome first released the film on blu some years back I went ahead and bought a copy.  I never revisited it or reviewed it but I'm glad I snagged it.   When I saw that they were releasing the limited slipcover with artwork from Thomas Hodge I decided to grab it.  Honestly, this artwork is the best I've seen yet and I couldn't wait to own it.  When I got it in I decided it was the perfect time to check this one out.  
     The film follows three nerdy sorority sisters who find themselves alone one weekend night.  They decide to invite over three guys for a little wholesome fun.  However, when they run out of games to play they turn to a magic crystal ball one of them recently acquired from a garage sale.  Things turn weird when the three ladies change from nerds to sexy sorority babes.  The guys go with it at first but soon they realize that these three ladies are now possessed by an evil succubus.  
     A few months ago I watched the documentary Screaming in High Heels which was about the golden age of scream queens.  In it Nightmare Sisters was discussed and how the movie was pretty filmed in over a weekend.  I can see that now after watching it again.  It's a fun and cheesy late 80s horror comedy that I can see myself watching over and over again without tiring of.  The acting in this one is far from perfect but its fun.  The three leads, Quigley, Stevens, and Bauer, are horror icons and have appeared in some classic films over the years.  Nightmare Sisters may be their most underrated film.  The three will not be winning awards for their performances here but they did a great job at making this one super fun.  The supporting cast is solid but nothing memorable.  The story for this one simple, straight forward, but very entertaining.  Honestly, its nothing new by this point in the late 80s but with DeCoteau behind the camera and the three iconic scream queens in front of it you have a classic campy and sleazy horror comedy.  There is a few slow paced scenes but nothing you can't sit through.  Finally, this is not a bloody flick which is what I was expecting.  Even the cheesiest horror films of the 80s were known for their imaginative kills but this one rides mostly on the characters and their dilemmas.  Overall, Nightmare Sisters is just the film you want to see as you are lounging around in the evening and drinking a cold beer to relax.  It's nothing overly complicated but it's super fun and enjoyable.  I highly recommend checking this one out and if you can get the amazing slip with Thomas Hodges artwork then I suggest you do.  It's well worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment