Thursday, January 21, 2021

Zombie Cop




Director - J.R. Bookwalter (The Dead Next Door, Ozone)
Starring - Michael Kemper (Robot Ninja, Chickboxer), Ken Jarosz (Maximum Impact, Midnight 2), and James Black (Godzilla, Detention)
Release Date - 1991
Genre - Action/Horror
Tagline - "You rights are hereby waived"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in college I ordered the Skinned Alive Brentwood Home Video release that had four films in the set.  I absolutely loved Skinned Alive when I was in high school so I went ahead and ordered this four film release for the bonus movies.  When I placed that order I found myself down the rabbit hole of indie releases when I came across the Bad Movie Police release of Zombie Cop.  I had never seen this one before but when I saw it was directed by Bookwalter under a different name I knew I had to have it.  When it arrived I decided to check it out but I found myself absolutely hammered (it was college after all) and I don't remember shit about it.  Sadly, that movie did not make the move from college to my home once I married.  I did replace it over the summer with the Bad Movie Police set but I never revisited it until the SOV Six Pack release.  I can see why I don't remember it but I still enjoyed it.
     The film follows a police officer who is hot on the trail of a crime boss that is a practitioner of voodoo.  He finds him during a drug bust but is unable to get the jump on him.  Instead, he finds himself covered in a strange concoction before he is mortally shot.  Later, he finds himself awakening from his grave with a bone to pick on the drug dealing voodoo priest that turned him into a zombie cop.
      There is only one way to watch a movie titled Zombie Cop and that is to expect a lot of cheap laughs and a ridiculous story.  If you toss in a movie called Zombie Cop and expect a serious film then you will be very disappointed.  The acting in this one is over dramatic and intense at times which is almost like a parody of the late 80s direct to video action flicks.  The cast has some experience but their emotions and actions are very ridiculous but it makes the movie so much fun.  I really enjoy the cast and how much energy they brought into the film.  The story for this one is straight forward and really does parody the action films of years prior.  We have a cop who dies, returns back to life, and seeks revenge on the drug pusher who killed him.  This is nothing new especially by 1991 with dozens of films released with similar stories aside from the resurrection aspect.  However, what makes this one so much fun is the zombie aspect along with the comedic aspects.  It may not be the most memorable films of Bookwalter but it is still fun.  Finally, this one has some blood but those looking for more will be very disappointed.  This one follows the action film tropes very closely and relies on the story and action more than the blood and gore.  Overall, Zombie Cop is a fun one but doesn't really have replay value.  I enjoyed it and could see myself spinning it again with some friends and plenty of beer.  The blu release looks alright but I think the film quality is just a little more improved than the DVD.  

No comments:

Post a Comment