Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Killer is One of 13



Director - Javier Aguirre (Count Dracula's Great Love, Children's War)
Starring - Patty Shepard (Rest in Pieces, Edge of the Axe), Simon Andreu (Prince of Shadows, Fist Fighter), and Jose Maria Prada (Hotel Fear, The Hunt)
Release Date - 1973
Genre - Thriller
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

      My New Year viewing has been amazing so far after I decided to check out Volume 1 of Vinegar Syndrome's Forgotten Gialli.  Trauma was a great start to the set and The Police are Blundering in the Dark was a great follow up.  I figured one of the three films would be a dud so I expected this last film to be that but I was wrong.  In fact, The Killer is One of 13 was easily my favorite in this release.  The movie was not a horror flick in the traditional sense but was still a phenomenal watch.
     The film follows a wealthy widow who has invited 12 others to her mansion two years after her husband mysteriously crashed his plan.  She suspects that he was murdered and one of the 12 people dining with her this evening is the one responsible.  
     I went into this one thinking it was going to be the stinker of the set and was really fucking impressed by this one.  The Clue like storyline really pulled me in while the atmosphere and suspense created the perfect giallo environment for me.  I absolutely loved almost everything with this one.  I loved it so much that I plan I digging into it again in a few days.  A day later I'm still daydreaming about it.  The acting in this one is great.  The characters are all embellished and eccentric which is typical for most giallo.  The cast does a great job at bringing out so much personality in these characters and making each and every scene enjoyable.  We also get a small role from genre favorite Paul Naschy.  I was expecting to see much more of him but having him in the film at all was a surprise.  The story for this one plays out like a game of Clue which is how the television show (released years later) plays out.  A house full of suspects but only one killer.  It really plays on the murder mystery aspect and it works.  Just when you think the killer is one person you see them die.  It's absolutely brilliant and methodical.  Some of the scenes are rather slow paced but if you still with it you will enjoy it.  Finally, the film has several bloody kills but if you want the gore you will be disappointed.  The kills are pretty bloody but the practical effects are non-existent.  The kills, like most gialli, works for the film but are nothing that memorable.  Overall, The Killer is One of 13 is an absolutely brilliant murder mystery with beautiful cinematography and an amazing cast.  The brilliant lighting and clever camera angles are absent but the film still speaks for itself.  I highly recommend checking this one out.  You will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment