Thursday, September 23, 2021

Coraline


Director - Henry Selick (James and the Giant Peach, Monkeybone)
Starring - Dakota Fanning (War of the Worlds, The Twilight Saga: New Moon), Teri Hatcher (Spy Kids, Supergirl), and John Hodgman (Flight of the Conchords, Parks and Recreation)
Release Date - 2009
Genre - Fantasy/Horror
Tagline - "Be careful what you wish for"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in college I would often visit the local theater to check out some genre releases along with anything else that catches my eye.  My freshman year of college I was dating a woman that was very unpleasant but I didn't see it at the time.  My friends did and they adopted the nickname "unpleasant" for her and would call her that behind her back.  One week night she drug me out to watch the Laika Studios film Caroline.  I had not heard of this one before but when I watched it I fucking fell in love with it.  As soon as it was released to home video I quickly rushed to FYE where I snagged the collectors set.  It's such a charming yet eerie film that still delivers to this day.  Over the summer I introduced my oldest daughter to it and she absolutely loved it as well.  I love that this speaks to different generations.  A few weeks ago Shout Factory reached out to me to review  the film for their new blu release of select Laika releases.  I couldn't turn it down.  I want to thank Shout Factory for sending this classic over!
     The film follows Coraline (Fanning) who moves with her parents to an old house that has been turned into three apartments.  Coraline and her family live in the main house while the eccentric Bobinski and his mouse circus live in the attic and the lovable and jaded Miriam and April live in the basement with their dogs.  She is left to explore the house and the surrounding land while her parents work on a gardening catalogue but things take a weird turn when she finds a key to a cubbyhole.  Inside she fights a gateway to another world with her "other" mother and father.  They look like her parents, minus buttons over their eyes, except they are loving and showering her with affection.  Things are perfect in this world...almost too perfect but before Coraline realizes that she finds herself trapped in the other world and when she finally frees herself and returns to her own she is sent back to rescue her parents who was kidnapped by her other mother.
     Coraline is a film that I don't think I could ever tire of.  It's brilliant and the one of the few films that I can still watch as an adult and still find myself getting sucked into it like a child.  It's an amazing film that is only disliked by people who had never seen it.  After giving it another revisit I would safely say that it is in my top 20 favorite movies.  Absolutely adore it and this release from Shout Factory is just as awesome.  The voice acting in this one is just as brilliant as the film.  We get some stellar performances from Keith Davidz, Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Ian McShane, and many more.  I loved the characters they brought to life on the screen with just their voices and every single character stands out.  It's almost perfect and the cast does a stellar job.  The story for this one brings a lot to the table.  We get a story about family, the affection a child desperately seeks, an intriguing ghost story all mixed into a world of magic and mystery.  I've seen this film several dozens of times now and I still glue myself to the screen like it was my first viewing.  Finally, the stop motion animation is absolutely gorgeous.  Some of the scenes are beautiful and the cast of characters all look great.  They have their own look about them and at this point in time they are now iconic especially Coraline and the other mother.  I love the artistry used here and the stop motion is mesmerizing.  Overall, Coraline is something the entire family can enjoy.  It's crazy, beautiful, and heartfelt.  I highly recommend it and the Shout Factory release is the way to go.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment