Friday, September 24, 2021

Fried Barry


Director - Ryan Kruger (The Man Who Beat the Man, Swither)
Starring - Gary Green (Escape Room, Death Race 2), Chanelle de Jager (The Widow, The Red Sea Diving Resort), and Brett Williams (Shark Week, Outlander)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Sci-Fi/Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     A year or so ago I was browsing a few of the indie horror groups on Facebook when I came across a post from South African director Ryan Kruger talking about his newest film Fried Barry.  I'm not going to lie, the artwork and trailer he had posted for the film really sold me on it.  I reached out to Ryan and he hooked me up with a press release for the film to post on the site and it was a title I followed closely.  Sometime back I received another press release that the film was picked up by Shudder and branded as a Shudder Original.  I've been all about the Shudder releases the last year or so and this only added more fuel to fire for me to check it out.  A few days back RLJE announced the release of the film on blu and I had to jump on the chance to finally see it.  I quickly emailed them and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.  Thanks guys.
     The film follows Barry (Green) who is a drug loving asshole that puts himself before his family.  After one night of partying he finds himself being abducted by aliens.  The extraterrestrial then takes control of Barry's body before descending back to Earth where he wonders the town doing drugs, fucking women, doing more drugs, and fucking more women.  
    When I say I love wild and bat shit crazy movies this is exactly what I'm talking about.  Those of you that think Malignant was wild have no idea what you are talking about.  If you want to see something that will fuck with you for days after viewing it then Fried Barry is the movie for you.  I could spend all day trying to describe how wild this movie is and it wouldn't do this film justice.  The acting in this one is extremely fun.  No one is really winning any awards but the cast goes all in which creates a very entertaining film.  Green is fully committed to his role and his commitment is what makes this one so much fun.  This character is quickly approaching cult status and I can't imagine anyone else filling those shoes.  The story for this one is a wild ride and sleazy as hell.  I found myself uttering "what the fuck" more times during this film than other film I've seen.  We go from one insane scenario to another and if any movie couldn't be even crazier we get hit with some wild effects and humorous situations.  Finally, the film has some seriously bloody moments and not all of them are actual deaths.  We watch a woman go from not being pregnant at all to giving birth right before our eyes in less than a minute.  It was wild to see and that's only the beginning of the insane practical effects that we get.  Overall, Fried Barry is going to piss some movie fans off while gaining a cult following.  I can see genre fans still talking about this fucked up flick years from now.  I highly recommend checking it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment