Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Harlequin


Director - Simon Wincer (The Phantom, The Lighthorsemen)
Starring - Robert Powell (Frankenstein, Jesus of Nazareth), David Hemmings (Deep Red, Faerie Tale Theatre), and Carmen Duncan (Turkey Shoot, Ash vs Evil Dead)
Release Date - 1980
Genre - Fantasy/Horror
Tagline - "Are his powers more than magic?"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm fairly new to ozploitation but I can, without a doubt, tell that these films are some of the most ambitious and entertaining films I have ever seen.  Where I'm new to these films I'm still being introduced to some of their most well-known films.  Most of these films are sent my way from Umbrella Entertainment as part of their Ozploitation Classics line.  Sometime back Umbrella sent over the 1980 fantasy horror ozploitation film Harlequin for review.  I was on the fence about the film but once I finally pulled the trigger on it I found myself loving it.  It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.  I want to thank Umbrella Entertainment for sending it over.  
     The film follows a political figure who is about to lose his young son to an illness that has stumped doctors.  A strange man, a faith healer of sorts, makes an appearance and cures the child.  Soon his family is enamored with the stranger but the political figure's fixer does not like him and tries to sabotage him.  Soon the political figure finds himself torn between the man that healed his child and a career in politics.  
      I noticed that a few of my friends on social media stated that they didn't care for this one but I absolutely fucking loved it.  The movie was a solid mix of dark fantasy, horror, and even a bit of political thriller.  I can see why some people wouldn't dig it but I really enjoyed it.  The acting in this one is fantastic.  Robert Powell is absolutely amazing as the enigmatic faith healer.  His character made the film for me and I couldn't imagine the movie being as entertaining if someone else was cast in the role.  It's also great seeing David Hemmings in another genre film.  I've reviewed several films of his previously but they were not horror films.  Sure, I have seen him in several horror films but they were not movies sent my way for review.  He's such an amazing actor that really carries the scene.  When you pair him with Powell you get something truly entertaining. The supporting cast is solid but they don't touch a candle to these two in this film.  The story for this one is a political thriller with horror and fantasy elements.  The film has a false sense of who the real villain is that really works.  The twist at the end works and the movie makes you think it's predictable before pulling the rug out from under you.  There is a few slow scenes that will try your patience but the film as a whole is very well written.  Finally, the film has some blood and some very impressive gun shots but that's the extent of it all.  If you want a movie with a high body count and memorable practical effects then this one is not for you.  Overall, Harlequin was a pleasant surprise and one of the better ozploitation flicks I've seen so far.  I loved the story and the cast is amazing.  I highly recommend this release from Umbrella Entertainment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment