Friday, September 2, 2022

Fountaine and the Vengeful Nun Who Wouldn't Die


Director - James Dean
Starring - Mallory Stern, Ron Clower, and Jaclyn Tripp (The Blair Trump Project, Superman: World War)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Action/Crime
Tagline - "Hail Mary, full of rage!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     Several months back I was looking around on Instagram when a friend of mine shared a picture of a film he had just acquired on blu.  The movie was Fountaine and the Vengeful Nun Who Wouldn't Die and it immediately caught my eye.  I'm a huge fan of grindhouse and exploitation flicks so this was a no brainer.  I messaged him and he was kind enough to send over a link for me to order it.  The movie actually arrived a few months back but I never had the time to check it out.  After spinning the three Visual Vengeance blu releases I decided it was time to finally check it out.  
     The film follows Mary (Stern) who is a nun with a particular skill set.  The church has been operating in secret to bring down any challenges they may face.  Her sister was murdered some time back and now she has tracked the killer to an underground drug kingpin.  With the help of her lover, another nun, and her martial arts partner she sets out to bring them down and exact revenge.  However, the person she is looking for is not who she was expecting.
     I was ready to love Fountaine and the Vengeful Nun Who Wouldn't Die but it was quick to show me that it wasn't going to be for me.  The movie does pay a loving tribute to classic exploitation films with a dash of homage to some nunsploitation flicks.  However, the film takes itself a little too seriously when it shouldn't have.  Some intentional humor would have gone a long way.  However, the way the film is left me slightly confused and underwhelmed.  The acting in this one is hit or miss.  The cast shows some inexperience but a lot of the scenes are awkward to watch.  It feels like it was written to have some comical moments added in but the cast struggled at delivering it in such a manner.  The seriousness of the film mixed with the inexperience made for underwhelming moments.  I liked how the characters were written but something between the paper and filming.  The story for this one borrows heavily from films like They Call Her One Eye and Kill Bill.  I liked the premise and the characters but the drawn out scenes and awkward acting makes it a tough one to sit through.  I also feel that there was a short or something that was released before it because it feels like at times that the viewer is expected to know what is going on even though some things are never fully explained.  Finally, this film is bloody and violent.  We get some visual and practical effects that look fairly well done together.  They compliment each other nicely and make the gag work.  Overall, Fountaine and the Vengeful Nun Who Wouldn't Die have their moments.  I liked the set up of the film and the great detail that goes into the characters.  I wish there was a little more to the acting and some humor to take away from the serious tone but that's just me.  Some of you may enjoy the film that it is.  It's still worth a watch but it's not one I want to revisit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment