Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Prehysteria! 2


Director - Albert Band (I Bury the Living, Ghoulies II)
Starring - Kevin Connors (Harry and the Hendersons, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead), Jennifer Harte, and Dean Schofield (Project: Metalbeast, Cotton Candy)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "The oldest party animals are back"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I had several go to films when I was a kid.  An estranged uncle gave me Jason Goes to Hell and Conan the Destroyer on tape.  I played the fuck out of them for years until I got my hands on the Prehysteria! trilogy along with Adventures in Dinosaur City.  I fucking loved these films and watched the absolute fuck out of them until they were given away while I was in college.  Several years ago I wanted to revisit these films and found them on DVD from Germany.  Since then Full Moon has been working on their Moonbeam catalog.  They released the first Prehysteria! film on blu sometime ago and just recently put the sequel out on blu.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy over.  I couldn't wait to revisit this one and once I decided to have a Full Moon marathon I knew this would be one of the first films I watched.
     The film follows Brendan (Connors) who is wealthy but lacks friendship.  That is until one day he befriends a young girl in a rail yard and the two find a group of miniature dinosaurs.   He takes them to his mansion and soon finds a friendship in them and the young girl that money could not put a price on.
     Prehysteria! 2 is nowhere near as enjoyable as the first film but it's still a solid watch.  It's a copy and paste story with some changes that makes it just different enough to be a sequel and not a hard retelling.  Honestly, I like the set up of the film but it could have offered us just a little something different than a rehashing of the first film.  The acting in this one is pretty fucking decent.  I really liked the characters we were given and how they seemed to be written more a children's film than the first film.  The cast has some experience but there was a few scenes that still feel awkward to watch even now.  What really stands out to me is Kevin Connors who many of you may remember as the kid in Phantasm III.  The story for this one is similar to the first film but with some noticeable differences.  I liked the rich kid angle mixed with the dad who is too busy for him.  Toss in a tramp for a friend and some mini dinos and you have Prehysteria! 2.  With that being said, it's pretty much a copy and paste story from the first with kids trying to hide dinos.  It's fun and I can marathon it with the first and third film but it is a little repetitive.  Finally, the film doesn't try to do as many visual effects as the first.  We have the same animatronics as the first film and that's the extent of it.  Overall, Prehysteria! 2 is one of the many films that made me the movie fan I am today.  I owe this film so much but I'm not blind to it's short comings.  It's fun and I highly recommend checking out the blu from Full Moon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment