Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Suitable Flesh


Director - Joe Lynch (Chillerama, Mayem)
Starring - Heather Graham (Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, The Stand), Judah Lewis (Summer of '84, The Babysitter), and Barbara Crampton (From Beyond, Re-Animator)
Release Date - 2023
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Who do you think you are!"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Several years ago I was talked into watching the web-series Holliston. The series starred filmmakers Adam Green and Joe Lynch. Both filmmakers have made serious contributions to horror over the years but one seems to overshadow the other. When I mention Holliston to genre fans they often praise Green and his Hatchet franchise. He’s an amazing filmmaker but I always found the Hatchet series to be a bit underwhelming while I greatly enjoy Lynch’s films. Not only did he direct Strapping Young Lad’s Love, which is one of the best tributes to Evil Dead II, he also directed a segment in Chillerama, Wrong Turn 2, Knights of Badassdom, Mayhem, and an episode of Creepshow. His filmography is fantastic and I’m always excited to check out something he is attached to. A few weeks back I was sent a press release for his newest film Suitable Flesh. The film starred horror legend Barbara Crampton and Heather Graham. I reached out to RLJE Films and Shudder and they were kind enough to send a screener link my way. I really want to thank both of them for sending it over because I absolutely loved this movie! 
      The film follows a psychiatrist who has an unexpected patient barge into her life. He seems to be suffering from multiple personalities but she soon learns the truth. The boy is host to something very sinister and very old that is able to transfer itself from host to host after it comes in contact with someone and chants an ancient prayer. 
      Suitable Flesh is probably one of Lynch’s best films. Everything from the cast to the set locations are phenomenal and the story is fucking brilliant. The film is not just mindless blood and guts but it doesn’t shy away from the red stuff either. It’s very story driven and the amazing performances makes it a must see film for genre fans. The acting in this one is amazing. While I want to spend most of my time talking about my horror crush Barbara Crampton, I would be doing Heather Graham an injustice. Graham makes the film what it is. She brings her character to life and her performance is nothing short of brilliant. The film has some great performances from the supporting cast as well including Crampton but I will be here all day if I mention everyone by name and talk about the amazing performances. The story for this one is inspired by H.P. Lovecraft’s The Thing on the Door Step. I read this one years ago but I don’t remember shit about it so I can’t speak on hos close to the course material it is. However, from a film standpoint, the story hits hard. It’s not overly complicated and confusing. We do have some body jumping but it’s done in a straight forward fashion which is easy for the viewer to follow. The pacing is perfect, the characters are very well written, and the scenes are not stretched out to make up for run time. With that being said, the twist ending is cliched and very predictable. It was the only time during the film that I rolled my eyes. If you have seen any films over the last 60 years that features a similar story then you know exactly what the ending consists of. Finally, the film is extremely bloody and violent. Not every scene has death and blood but the few times it does they more than make up for it with fantastic practical effects and buckets of blood. I highly recommend alone just for the effects and death scenes that we get. Overall, Suitable Flesh is one of the better Lovecraft adaptations and easily the best film in Lynch’s filmography. I highly recommend it especially if you are looking for something to add to your next Re-Animator and From Beyond marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment