Friday, October 13, 2023

The Girl Can't Stop

Director - Willy Rozier (Beside Murder, Sin and Desire)
Starring - Xenia Kalogeropoulou (The Storyteller, The Prodigal Son), Georges Riviere (Castle of Blood, Horror Castle), and Jean Sobieski (Plucked, Playgirl 70)
Release Date - 1965
Genre - Crime/Drama
Tagline - "The shocking story of the far side of love... and the men and women with twisted desires who play there!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     My month long horror binge is well under way. So far this month I’ve watched slashers, films about the occult, demon slaying, murder mysteries, and a film adaptation of a children’s book that was a childhood favorite of mine. My annual October horror movie binge is something I look forward to each and every year. However, sometimes I get non-horror films in for review and try to sneak them in from time to time. A couple weeks back Mondo Macabro sent over a few releases of theirs to check out. I wanted to review them before my October binge but I never could find the time. After watching a few horror titles I decided it was time to check out one of these releases. The first was a double feature with the first film in the set being The Girl Can’t Stop from 1965. This French title was a new one to me and I couldn’t wait to check it out. I want to thank Mondo Macabro for sending this one my way. 
      The film follows a failing business man who just lost his last bit of money gambling. A sleazy friend of his convinces him to have his wife sleep with a wealthy banker so he will feel obligated to loan him money. He reluctantly agrees and soon convinces his wife to go along with their seedy plan. She eventually falls in love with the banker but the grass is not always greener on the other side. She discovers that he is a sadistic man who enjoys when his servant tortures women. 
      This one looked like it would be a fun sexploitation with some twisted moments. Sadly, that was not the case. It’s a drama that worked that ended with a little perversion that may have been considered taboo in the mid-60s but to a generation that grew up with South Park and G-String Divas it was relatively mild. The acting in this one was very well done for the most part. I really liked the characters and the lengths the cast went to keep them grounded and believable. However, a few scenes did feel rushed and it looked as if the cast was just going through the motions to finish. This was only in a few scenes but the inconsistent performances are very noticeable. The story for this one is very predictable but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The man convincing his wife to sleep with a banker so he can secure a loan only for her to fall in love with him is something the viewer can spot a mile away. The perversion part is a bit unexpected but it’s not that wild when you consider most have read or at least watched the film adaptation of 50 Shades of Gray. Honestly, I liked the film but I was expecting more of a sexploitation than a drama. Finally, this is not a film with any bloodshed or gore. It’s a character driven piece that is enjoyable but not something you would want to toss in during your Halloween viewing. Overall, The Girl Cant Stop was very enjoyable. I really enjoyed it but I do wish it was a little more sleazy. With that being said, I highly recommend grabbing a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment