Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Unquiet Death

Director(s) - Ferid Boughedir (Sweet Smell of Spring, Villa Jasmine) and Claude d'Anna (Salome, Foursome)
Starring - Aly Ben Ayed (Tunis Top Secret, Play Dirty), Ursule Pauly (The Nude Vampire, The Rape of the Vampire), and Sophie Vaillant (Number 96, Nanou)
Release Date - 1970
Genre - Crime/Drama/Mystery
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


      We just passed the halfway mark to Halloween a few days ago and I'm still trying to watch as many horror titles as possible before the month ends. However, that has been a bit of a challenge this year with the handful of dark dramas and mysteries that have been sent over for review. I don't mind these types of films but I primarily watch and review horror for the month of October. A few weeks ago Mondo Macabro sent over the Broken Mirror and Unquiet Death double feature for review. I was under the impression that these were genre titles but after I finished Broken Mirror I quickly learned that it was not. Regardless, I still enjoyed these films and I want to thank Mondo Macabro for hooking me up with these two fantastic dramas for review! 
      The film follows three sisters who visit their late uncle's estate. While there they are forced to deal with his former servant, which brings about uncomfortable interactions between him and the three. He eventually snaps and starts ordering the women around as if he is the owner of the lavish estate and they are his slaves. It doesn't take long before the three of them have enough and stand up to him. 
      Unquiet Death is another beautifully shot international drama that did not disappoint. While I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's another film like Broken Mirror that I will never revisit. It's a fantastic first time watch but once you know exactly what is going to happen it loses it's thrill. The acting in this one is great. The three female leads are fantastic together. They have amazing chemistry and go above and beyond to make the scene work. While the cast is fairly small, they are all firing on the same cylinder. Everyone carries their weight so to speak but these three lovely ladies make the film for me. The story for this one is a solid drama that bills itself as a mystery. While I don't see the mystery aspect of the film I still thoroughly enjoyed it as a drama. It was unexpected and something you never saw coming. It has smooth pacing, wonderful dialogue, and well written characters. Finally, this is another one that is not a bloody flick. This is character focused but it works. Overall, Unquiet Death is not what I was expecting but I still enjoyed it. It's a drama that does get dark at times. I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment