Thursday, February 29, 2024

Midnight Snack


Director - Andrew Gibbs (Witch, The Box)
Starring - Catherine Gibbs (Witch, The Box) and Claudio Mendrano 
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (YouTube)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've been lucky enough to review dozens of horror shorts over the years. These films range in length from 5 minutes to around half an hour. However, I was recently introduced to micro-shorts when I was sent a series of them from Dark House Pictures founder Andrew Gibbs. I had made a post at the end of September about my October horror binge, and he shot me a message. By this point I had already received 60 to 70s films to review but I was very interested in his work. I added them to my viewing list and when I finally could get around to checking them out, I started with his micro-short Midnight Snack. I want to thank Andrew for sending this one over for me to check out! 
      The film follows a woman who wakes up in the middle of the night and decides to raid the fridge. What she doesn't know is that something else is lurking in the home with the same idea. 
      I had no idea micro-shorts existed or that films this short were called that. I can see the appeal they would have to movie fans but it's difficult to fully review a film when it's barely over a minute long. Regardless, here I go! The acting in this one is solid for the film. We don't get to see the small cast explore their characters and their emotional range but for the story we get the cast does a fantastic job. The story for this one is fun especially when you consider how short it is. I loved the idea of someone going to the fridge in the middle of the night only to become a snack themselves. With that being said, I have so many questions that this film just doesn't answer. A longer short with a little meat on the bone would have cleared up any questions I had. Finally, this is not a bloody one but the suit for the creature looks great. I don't know if this was designed for this project or picked up from a costume store. Either way, it looks great, and I would love to see it appear in another film with a bit more to it. Overall, Midnight Snack doesn't have a lot of depth, but it is a lot of fun for a one-minute flick. Check it out. The information in this transmission may contain proprietary and non-public information of Lendmark Financial Services or its affiliates and may be subject to protection under the law. The message is intended for the sole use of the party to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution, or copying of the message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete the material from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment