Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dropping Evil


Director - Adam Protextor (The Rise of Gunhead)
Starring - Rachel Howell (Becky's the Boss), Zachary Eli Lint (Carlos Spills the Beans), and Tom Taylor (The Rise of Gunhead)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Take your last trip"
Format - DVD (Personal Copy) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Wild Eye Releasing is a company that has really impressed a lot lately.  Sometime ago I requested a few films to review and a few days later a big ass package arrived on my door step (well, it was the post office but you get the point). That package had a lot of films I had never seen and a few I had never heard of.  As I slowly made my way through them all I decided it was time to throw in Dropping Evil.  This movie was new to me.  I venture to a lot of horror related sites and when I come across a movie I have never heard of I get a little excited.  I love being surprised with a movie that has slipped passed me and once again I want to thank Wild Eye Releasing for hooking me up with this film to review!
     The film follows Christian nerd Nancy (Lint) and his friend who, along with two female companions, go camping for the weekend.  Nancy can not step down from his bible thumping pedestal and pisses everyone off before they reach their destination. The group stop at a gas station and drop some LSD into his apple juice in hopes it would calm him down.  However, the plan backfires and Nancy becomes a killing machine...in the name of the lord sending the group spiraling into a web of conspiracies with a huge corporation especially interested in the bible thumper and his righteous killing. 
     I tend to get more excited than I should when I cross paths with an unknown film.  Most films that are unknown are unknown for a specific reason and that reason is they suck.  However, every once in awhile you will come across one that it definitely worth your time and money and that was this film here.  This movie honestly shocked me.  I had no clue what the film was about before watching it but I was very pleased to discover that it was a clever throwback to the slashers of the 80s with an X-Files twist.  Sadly, I did not care for the science fiction twist but that is besides the point.  I am a little stunned and slightly upset that this film does not get the recognition it deserves.  Hell, it may get all the recognition it deserves and I was just unfortunate enough to not know about it.  Either way people need to see this one.  The acting in this is not the best I have seen in an indie horror flick but it is not the worst by far.  The entire cast really needed more experience and practice.  More experience would have kicked this film up another notch.  The story is by far the most complex I have ever seen in a slasher flick and personally that took away some of the fun.  Slashers should be a simple vehicle to get amazing kills out to the audience with a killer in an amazing mask or gimmick.  I loved the gimmick in this film with the killer being a total bible Nazi.  However, the entire corporation and conspiracy angle added way too much to what should have been a simple slasher.  Finally, the film does have a few on screen kills but not as much as I would have liked.  The kills look great but the film did not have enough to make it a slasher contender.  Overall, this film is a solid slasher that had what it takes to be one best.  However, it used a complex story and not enough slasher-esque kills preventing it from reaching the flicks true potential.  I highly recommend this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment