Sunday, September 15, 2013

Post Mortem, America 2021


Director - Cameron Scott (Graveyard Blues)
Starring - Linnea Quigley (Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Demons), Jim O'Rear (Sasquatch vs. Yeti), and Monique Dupree (Sheriff Tom vs The Zombies)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Western
Tagline - "With Armageddon came a price, and the dead walked the Earth"
Format - DVD (Personal Copy) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      I started writing for Horror Society in January and since then I have discovered a lot of great indie directors that I personally would say I am a fan of.  I befriended Dustin Mills on Facebook and after sometime he mentioned a movie entitled The Italian Zombie Movie.  The director of that flick is Thomas Berdinski.  I reached out to him and he was nice enough to send me a copy of that film, as well as, two other of his films.  I loved them and reached out to him again to see if he had anymore films in the works.  He told me about Cameron Scott's flick Post Mortem, America 2021.  He produced the film and did various other tasks behind the camera.  I waited patiently for the film to be released and when I saw reviews for it pop up I received my screener in the mail. 
      The film follows Lucille (Quigley) who is killed by Severin (O'Rear) and his team of killers and assassins.  However, her story does not end there.  She is resurrected and vows vengeance on those that done her wrong.  She makes her way up the list of assassins starting at the bottom.  When Severin hears about this he sends a team after her but something pops up.  The zombie apocalypse springs up but that does not stop Severin from trying to stop the once dead Lucille.  After many deaths the two finally meet up culminating in a man vs. woman vs. zombie showdown.
     I actually enjoy the horror and western hybrids.  I really like the films The Quick and the Undead, Alive and Undead, and The Burrowers.  These films are nothing new to the genre but they are unique due to the blending of the western genre.  I have never been a fan of western films but if you throw in some blood and gore I will watch anything so when Berdinski told me about this one I was a little excited.  I refused to read those reviews I saw pop up so I could be surprised with the film when I watched it.  The acting in this one is hit and miss.  Quigley did an amazing job in her role.  It is strange seeing her lead the entire film.  Most of the movies I have seen that had her in them only showed her in small segments.  Though she was only in those for a small duration she still did an amazing job in her roles.  She is the type of actress that will completely submerse herself in the role to the point it is no longer acting but is living as that character.  As I say this I draw inspiration from her character Trash in the Return of the Living Dead.  I was also shocked by April Burril's performance.  I really enjoy watching her in The Chainsaw Sally Show but I suspected that was how she would be in all her films and I was wrong.  In this one she showed a little more depth in her performance and really impressed me.  Sadly, she ruined it with a really bad accent.  The remainder of the cast shows talent but not much experience.  Some, I believe, are horror hosts and that shows.  They are used to being on camera talking to people and carrying on casual conversation but not really acting as someone else.  The story is oddly nothing original.  If you remove the zombies the film looks and feels like an indie version of Kill Bill.    The film had potential to be something amazing but let the dialogue get way out of hand.  The film really needs to be trimmed down a bit and possibly re-edited.  I would edit the scenes a little more to make some of the characters look a little less bad ass.  This film has way too many characters fighting over the role of "bad ass gunslinger."  This makes the audience confused as to who the main characters are and who are the expendable nobodies.  Finally, the film does offer some on screen kills and decent special effects.  Most of the zombies rival Romero's Night of the Living Dead zombies while a select few look great.  Also, the kills in this one varies.  Most are really great gunshot kills while others are zombie influenced and so forth.  This film really does have a wide variety of kills.  Overall, this film would be one hell of a flick if it did not suffer from Tarantinoism.  Way too much dialogue and not enough action and horror is the downfall of this film. 






No comments:

Post a Comment