Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.


Director(s) - Michael Herz (The Toxic Avenger, The Toxic Avenger II) and Lloyd Kaufman (Terror Firmer)
Starring - Rick Gianasi (Mutant Hunt), Susan Byun (Dead Connection), and Bill Weeden (Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV)
Release Date - 1990
Genre - Action/Comedy
Tagline - "Fatal Sushi ... Lethal Chopsticks .. And As American As Apple Pie!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     Troma is a company that always seems to take my money and not in a bad way.  Every time they release a new film or I come across one while shopping I have to grab it. I try to pick up all things Troma regardless if it is a Troma original or one they are simply distributing. I do tend to enjoy the originals a little bit more than I do the ones they just distribute but for some reason I have not watched two titles, Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. and Terror Firmer.  That changed when I recently worked up a trade in a DVD/blu-ray collecting group on Facebook.  I was able to unload several Goosebumps books I had gathering dust for several Troma flicks that I did not have.  Among those films was indeed Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.  I was looking for any excuse to watch the film and lucky for me Demons of Celluloid's theme this month is Troma and I had finally give this film a watch.
     The film follows Seargent Griswold (Gianasi) who gets thrown in the middle of a gang hit from a mob boss on a group of kabuki actors. One of the actors grabs Griswold and kisses him transferring the power of Kabukiman to him before he dies.  This power can transform Griswold into the great Kabukiman at anytime which has turned Griswold into the laughing stock of the precinct.  That is until he starts cleaning up the city with his powers and becomes a hero.  However, things aren't all sunshine and sushi rolls.  The mob boss is actually an ancient evil that was trying to use the power of the kabukiman to summon The Evil One.  It is now up to Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. and the beautiful Lotus to stop this ancient evil before he can raise The Evil One.
     Troma films are always unique but the Troma originals are all in a world of their own.  These films tend to be over the top and spread more laughs than it does storyline and action.  I had no idea how the film would play out but I assumed that it would be a decent outing from Troma after seeing the Kabukiman appear in other Troma films and outings after the release of the film.  However, decent was an understatement.  I thoroughly enjoyed this film but I can tell that this is the kind of flick I would have hated or not appreciated as much if I was younger.  As much as I loved cheese as a kid this film is cheesier than I would have liked but as an adult I absolutely loved it.  The acting in this one is actually at the top of the Troma flicks.  Rick Gianasi was perfectly casted in his role.  He really made the role his own, and in turn, made the movie very enjoyable.  The story for this one is another one that has been told before but in new light.  Several films before this one centered around a powerful being becoming mortally wounded and transferring his power on to someone else to carry on the good deeds.  Now, that story has been ran through Troma and turned into something that lack originality but makes up for it with laughs.  Finally, the film has some great practical effects but skips on the deaths.  However, that is to be expected from a comedy and not a horror flick.  Overall, Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. is a great addition to any Troma fan's collection.  The film is off-beat, funny, and very unexpected.  I definitely recommend this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment