Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Servant of the Red Quill: A Baker Johnson Tale

Author - Terry M. West (A Psycho's Medley, Car Nex)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Format - Ebook (Review Copy)

Rating (out of 5):
     Most of you may have noticed that I have taken up reading again with a slew of Terry M. West reviews coming your way.  I recently reviewed Dreg and Turning Face, both from West, and both stories were amazing.  I wanted to continue my West reading spree and decided it was time to check out his story Servant of the Red Quill: A Baker Johnson Tale.  Sadly, I did not pay attention to what I was doing and read this story which was a sequel to West's The Giving of Things Cold and Cursed.  So here is my review, out of order.
     The story follows a drunk named Baker Johnson who was once a man that fought supernatural forces but has now turned to the bottle after losing his family.  He now lives in New York and has been selling countless cursed items to afford his drinking addiction.  One day a servant of a very wealthy man finds his way to Baker's apartment.  The servant's employer was once friends with his late uncle and knew a great deal about the supernatural but now faces an evil force that has bound itself to his young daughter.  Baker agrees to help them out because he is running low on booze.  Once he arrives he learns that this is a great evil that once plagued Marquis de Sade.  He must battle his inner demons in order to save the little girl from this ancient foe.
     I fucking love West and his style of writing.  Just recently I was explaining his style of writing to my wife and something struck me.  West is R.L. Stine for adults.  Though his films rarely have that monstrous twist and focus more on the horror, they are written simply which make it easy to follow for those of us that are not that intelligent and struggle with reading comprehension.  The characters in this story are strongly developed and really detailed.  Sadly, Baker Johnson is one fans of West may remember from The Giving of Things Cold and Cursed that I am unfamiliar with.  With that being said, I could see this character becoming one that we can follow on many adventures.  I can also see all these characters and stories taking place in the same universe which has so many possibilities for cross overs, especially with the psychic from Dreg.  The story for this one is short, sweet, and leaves you wanting more.  The story puts me in mind of a 1920's version of Constantine or Supernatural.  The story was fun and pits an immoral man against an ancient evil.  I love this type of story and I loved how the story left so many possibilities there for West to follow up with.  We can follow Johnson or we can get a prequel story following his uncle and the rich man troubled by the evil.  Finally, this is another well written story by West.  The story flows very well and does not have any words that feel out of place that can hang up the reader.  This story once again shows why West is the best at what he does.  Overall, Servant of the Red Quill: A Baker Johnson Tale is a short story that carries a punch.  The story may not be as viscous as West's other tales but it is still an amazing read.  If you want something fun then check this one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment