Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Comin' At Ya


Director - Ferdinando Baldi (War Bus)
Starring - Tony Anthony (Blindman), Gene Quintano (Police Academy 3: Back in Training), and Victoria Abril (Summer Rain)
Release Date - 1981
Genre - Western
Tagline - "3D!  It's back! It's bigger! It's better!  And it's comin at ya!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     My no horror month long challenge usually consists of me checking out various exploitation flicks.  Mostly blaxploitation and exploitation.  I check out some action flicks, a few comedies but mostly I'm always checking out blaxploitation and sexploitation.  However, out of the two months that I have done the two month challenge I have not watched a single western...until now.  A few months back MVD sent me the 1981 western Comin' At Ya on bluray.  The film was original shot to be viewed in 3D but due to the fact I don't have a 3D bluray player and because my glasses doesn't allow me the luxury of watching films in 3D.  This review is based on the 2D cut of the film.  Thanks MVD for hooking me up!
     The film follows two brothers and their gang or outlaws as they break up a wedding and kidnap the bride.  The groom refuses to sit idly by as his bride is taken back to their hangout to be raped and beaten.  He sets out to get her back and discovers that the brothers and their posse have been kidnapping women for some time and leave them tied up in their cellar.  He tries to help them escape but is captures while they are on the run.  He is tortured and the women are rounded up but he is able to free himself and kill the outlaws before the girls could be brought back and imprisoned including his wife.
     Growing up my father was an avid western fan.  He would watch westerns over and over regardless of how many times he had seen it.  He was with westerns like I was with Romero's Dead trilogy.  I watched a few but they didn't stick with me like horror did.  There was a few that I fell in love with growing up like Tombstone, Unforgiven, and the shitty American Outlaws.  I still watch them on occasion but I don't enjoy them like my father does.  With that being said, Comin' At Ya was a fun film that I'm sure would have been a great movie experience in a theater.  The acting in this one is decent for a spaghetti western.  The cast is generic and just spits out their dialogue with no volume control or hit of emotion but it works for the film.  Don't ask me how but it works.  The story for this one is not that original especially for a western made in the early 80s.  By there point there had been dozens of westerns, action flicks, and even a couple comedies that follows a man trying to get his bride back.  It was not that original but it did further the agenda of the film by giving the viewer's a western that was filmed with the purpose of pulling off the 3D gags.  They are dated for the time but I'm sure they would be fun in a theater watching it with a crowd.  Finally, those of you looking for action may be a little disappointed.  The action is pretty tame and rather boring.  One expects to see gun fights like an Eastwood led western but they are few and far in between and when they do happen they are rather dry.  Overall, Comin' At Ya is a novelty western from the 80s that may not be original but it is still fun.  I would love, and I mean this, love to see it in a theater setting with a group of friends.  Check it out but keep in mind that it is far from perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment