Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Lock the Doors


Director - Stefan Peschmann
Starring - Sabine Wedde, Janette Pissang, and Sandra Prauss
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I get a lot of movies in to review.  Some of movies I had heard about so I requested and others are movies that directors, actors, and producers reached out to me to check out.  There is a handful of movies that show up once a month that I did not request and was sent my way to check out.  These are my favorite films to get in.  Not because they are good but because they are like surprise presents that I was not expecting.  One such film was Lock the Doors sent to me from Dark Corridor Entertainment but had a bunch of merch from my friends over at Black Lava Entertainment so I assume the two are connected in one capacity or another.  I want to thank both companies for reaching out to me and allowing me to review their movie.
     The film follows a young girl who is tasked with watching over a home while the owners are away.  What she does not know is that someone wearing a gas mask is out stalking and killing anyone that wonders on the property including her boyfriend who was paying a surprise visit.  She is forced to fight for her live against and unknown attacker.
   

     When I get in movies like this from other countries I immediately assume they are going to be extreme horror films with little to no plot and tons of torture.  Black Lava's Snuff Trilogy was just that.  We followed a man as he tortured and killed women, men, and babies.  I've had people argue with me that I didn't like it was because I don't like gore and other bullshit reasons.  I love gore but when a movie is boring then its boring.  I was afraid Lock the Doors would be just as boring but it wasn't.  It was far from perfect but I enjoyed it for the most part.  The acting in this one is not that bad.  The cast showed their inexperience but I can see that they were having fun which makes the scenes a little more enjoyable.  Experience would have went a long way but the cast is not bad to watch.  The story for this one is nothing new or clever.  A young girl being stalked by a masked man while everyone near her is getting murdered follows pretty much every slasher film from the late 70s to early 90s starting with John Carpenter's Halloween.  What makes this story so much fun is that it does give you somewhat of a story while delivering some impressive kills that actually fit the plot.  There is more to it than someone tied to a chair while their fingers are being cut off one by one.  We get a little character development and then some blood.  The films is a slow build but it finally picks up momentum and delivers on the carnage.  My biggest complaint with the story is the ending.  The film just ends.  No closure and no satisfaction.  Finally, the film has some great kills. The kills are bloody and very gory but they are not what you would see in a bigger budgeted film.  They channel their inner S.O.V. and make their no budget flick run red.  These are my favorite kind of kills.  We get bodies made of leaves getting hacked apart in the backyard with guts from the local butcher shop strung all over the lawn.  Overall, Lock the Doors is a far from perfect horror film that still finds a way to entertain.  The kills are fun and full of heart but the film's pacing is all wrong.  This one is well worth it so check it out.





     

No comments:

Post a Comment