Saturday, December 7, 2019

Pickaxe


Director - Jeremy Sumrall (Possum Walk, Stay With Me)
Starring - A. Michael Baldwin (Phantasm, Kenny & Company), Perry Batson (Round), and Tiffany Shepis (Terror Firmer, Scarecrow)
Release Date - 2014, 2019
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "An urban legend reborn"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A week or so ago another writer here at Horror Society reviewed the new slasher from Wild Eye Releasing.  The slasher, Pickaxe, went into production in 2014 under the title of The Pickaxe Murders Part III: The Final Chapter.  The film was the center of attention in several of the numerous horror groups out there in Facebook land at that time but soon news of the film stopped popping up and the film was forgotten.  Fast forward to now and the film has just hit DVD through Wild Eye Releasing.  One of the writers here on the site got the film and checked it out.  He didn't care for the film but once the review was posted I was tagged by several social media friends.  That's what I like about Michael.  We both love horror but we view it so differently.  He enjoys the more well shot and thought out horror films while I go for the raunchy, trashy, and filthy no budget trashterpieces.  I stand by this author's opinion, however, I wanted to form my own after several people tagged me thinking the review was my own.    Wild Eye had sent me the film a few weeks back so I just went ahead and tossed it in.  
     The film begins with a young couple walking in the woods searching for famed slasher Alex Black's magical medalian so they can bring him back...or find fortune.  When he finds it he is promptly murdered by his very gorgeous and very nude girlfriend.  We then move to a group of teens driving through as they make their way to a concert.  They pick up some hitchhikers as they head to a cabin owned by the family of one of them.   While the sheriff searches for the missing couple we learn that Adrienne (Shepis) is the sole survivor of  the Alex Black massacre and suspects he is the one behind the disappearance.  No one believes her and soon one by one they go missing as Alex hacks his way through the small town.
     I didn't know what to expect when I tossed this one in.  I saw how negatively several of you took the other's writer's review so I assumed it had some decent moments but a part of me, the asshole gene is what my wife calls it, wanted me to hate it just so I could ruffle some feathers like his review did but I liked it.  It was far from perfect and I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon but it was fun for what it was worth.  The movie has several laughs, some jokes that fall flat, plenty of nudity, and some solids kills.  Also, I'm so glad the title was changed.  We already have a Dude Bro Party Massacre III and we don't need another in our collections.  The acting in this one is decent at times but several of the scenes were a little awkward to watch.  The cast is committed to their roles but their delivery at times was forced which made the scene a little uncomfortable.  With that being said, the characters are not that likable.  I really wanted to see Alex Black just rip and tear through them all in true slasher fashion.  I don't know if I need therapy or what but these characters just really got under my skin.  Even the nerdy little brother that the viewer is supposed to rally behind (similar to Mark in Friday the 13th Part II) is difficult to like.  The story for this one channels everything you love about 80s slashers and throws it at you hoping it sticks.  We get boobs, blood, an unstoppable slasher, a small town sheriff trying to piece everything together, and shitty teenagers just asking to get a foot broke off in their ass.  The movie has a solid pacing but some of the scenes, as stated earlier, is full of boring dialogue and awkward acting which does make it a struggle at times to march on through.  Finally, those looking for a brutal slasher will find what they are looking for with this one.  We get some solid kills with great practical effects.  There films does a great job with the budget they have and offer up some very slasher inspired kills.  Overall, Pickaxe is the sleazy slasher you need in your life.  The acting may not be the best but the boobs, carnage, and drunken Tiffany Shepis is enough to make it worth a watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment