Thursday, November 5, 2020

Mind Games




Director - Bob Yari (Papa Hemingway in Cuba)
Starring - Maxwell Caulfield (Monsters, Oblivion 2: Backlash), Edward Albert (Galaxy of Terror, Deadly Nightmares), and Shawn Weatherly (Shadowzone, Baywatch)
Release Date - 1989
Genre - Drama/Thriller
Tagline - "...the one game you should never play"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I found myself at a cross roads when I sitting down to watch a movie recently.  I had originally planned on having an MVD Rewind marathon.  Mikey was an amazing movie that really impressed me but 1992's Split Second did nothing for me.  The movie couldn't end fast enough.  I was going to skip on watching another one from fear that it would be another boring watch like Split Second was.  However, I was really curious about Mind Games and decided to suck it up.  I'm glad I did because, much like Mikey, I was really impressed with it.  Once again I want to thank MVD for sending this one my way.
     The film follows married couple Dana (Albert) and Rita (Weatherly) are traveling around in an RV with their son in hopes of saving their strained marriage.  They meet the hitchiker Eric (Caulfield) who befriends them all and gains their trust.  However, his innocence and friendly nature is a front as he works them over.  He first gets close to their son and implants homosexual thoughts and suggestions to him.  He then earns the trust of Dana before seducing Rita.  When they catch on to his manipulative ways they try to leave him behind but he turns it up a notch and things turn deadly.
     Mind Games is not the horror film the blu slipcover made me think it was.  Instead, it's a dramatic thriller that still finds a way to pull the viewer in.  I typically avoid movies like this but I have to be honest and admit that I really enjoyed it.  In fact, I could see myself watching it again in the near future.  The acting in this one is fairly decent but I found it difficult to really like the cast.  The characters work for the film but who they cast seems a little uneven.  Albert is cast as a father who is attending night school to better his family financially.  This is cool and makes sense.  However, Weatherly is a very young bride and the son's age makes it questionable for me.  They could have found someone a little older to portray the mother.  The story for this one is a bit of a mind game.  Once the film is over you see just how well thought out and played the film is.  The manipulation, quick romance, deciete, attempted murder, and kidnapping plays out very well in the story and the viewer never knows which way it is going to go.  The film does not focus too long on each aspect as the story progresses which is nice.  Finally, if you are looking for a bloody flick you will be disappointed.  The movie is a character driven story that focuses more on the monsters hidden within people rather than blood and gore.  Overall, Mind Games is a well put together and solid thriller that works for what it is.  The characters are oddly cast but it does not take away from the story.  This blu release looks great.  It's not the peak performance you would expect from a blu but still solid image and sound.  I highly recommend checking this one out and adding it to your collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment