Saturday, May 29, 2021

Monster Force Zero




Director - Nathan Letteer (Fifty Shades of Kilroy, Mac's Apartment)
Starring - Adam Singer (The Jurassic Dead, Hannah and Gretchen: A Trail of Breadcrumbs), Aeon Cruz (Terror Tales, The Night Shift), and Dalena Nguyen (Scarred for Life, Not Your Mothers Scouts)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Sci-Fi/Comedy
Tagline - "From zeroes to heroes"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     The community, especially the horror and cult community, is some of the most toxic group of people I have ever encountered in my entire life.  I've been a movie fan for as long as I can remember and a horror fan for damn near 20 years so most of my social media existence has included movie forums and groups.  People in these groups are way to quick to hate on movies without giving them a chance or realizing that they were done with little to no budget.  Sometime ago I saw the press release that Wild Eye was releasing the sci-fi comedy Monster Force Zero.  It wasn't long before the news of the film reached these groups and many were quick to shit on it.  Honestly, I thought it looked fun so I couldn't wait to dig into it.  I reached out to MVD who was handling this release for Wild Eye and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  I'm glad I checked it out because it was really fun.  
     The film follows a group of comic artists and writers who are appearing in character to promote their indie comic at a convention.  When a rival comic group approaches them they find themselves invited to an after party where they are recruited to play a game for a group of aliens who grants them the powers of the characters they are cosplaying.  After each task they discover that the aliens are actually using them forcing them to work together with their rivals to defeat them before they are able to take over the planet. 
     Monster Force Zero isn't going to be for the horror crowd.  However, if you dig stuff like Video Game High School, Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie, Fanboys, and Rise of the Fellowship then you will really appreciate this one.  I had a lot of fun with it and I expect to get a lot of blow back from this review but it's whatever.  I won't lose any sleep tonight knowing someone is mad at me for liking a movie where a yeti fights bigfoot.  The acting in this one is a lot of fun but the cast does have some room to grow.  The characters are all written well into the story but some are a little cliched.  With that being said, if didn't stop the cast for going fully dedicating themselves to their roles.  They gave each scene their all and it shows.  It was a lot of fun watching these characters interact with one another.  The story for this one has a lot going on but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  We get some sci-fi adventure, a lot of alien conspiracy references, some cryptozoology, and even a few comic and video game references as well.  The film does struggle with pacing and does get a bit choppy at times but if you stick with it you will find yourself having a lot of fun.  Finally, the film has a little blood but the main focus here is the use of visual effects and props.  We get some fun costumes and props that look great considering the film's budget.  We also get a lot of visual effects.  Some work with the style of the film while others do look a little goofy.  Overall, Monster Force Zero is a fun sci-fi film for fans of sci-fi and pop culture.  I have a soft spot for shows and movies like The Guild, AVGN: The movie, and Video Game High School so this one was nothing short of enjoyable.  I know some of you will be extremely critical on this one but the people like that are never happy any way so it doesn't matter.  I recommend checking this one out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment