Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Saw




Director - James Wan (The Conjuring 2, Aquaman)
Starring - Leigh Whannell (Cooties, Insidious), Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Robin Hood: Men in Tights), and Danny Glover (The Dead Don't Die, Angels in the Outfield)
Release Date - 2004
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Ever piece has a puzzle"
Format - UHD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in high school I remember so many amazing horror movies getting released.  I was constantly burning through what little money I had snagging up these releases.  Movies like Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Land of the Dead, the Dawn of the Dead remake, and Saw.  Once I got copies of these movies I started pretty much playing them on repeat.  Hell, there was a time when I couldn't stand watching these movies anymore because I had burned myself out on them.  Saw was easily one of the most ambitious and popular releases and for years a sequel was hitting theaters almost like clockwork.  I enjoyed the first three installments but I never took the time to watch the remaining films in the franchise.  A few weeks back I received the press release for the 4K release of the original Saw.  It's been a solid 10 years since I last revisited this one and a UHD release looks like it was the perfect reason to spin it once more.  
     The film follows two men who awaken in a dilapidated public restroom and chained to the pipes.  While going over their surroundings and checking their pockets they begin to unravel a series of clues that fit into a much bigger puzzel when they realize they are the newest pawns in the game of the Jigsaw killer.
     Saw was a huge hit when it was released and the marketing team behind the DVD releases should have won some awards for their designs.  Genre fans are all familiar with these clear sleeve cases with Saw themed artwork throughout.  Honestly, it was a bit of a bummer when I received the UHD release without that iconic artwork.  Regardless, I had fun with it but I did find it a little dull at times.  The acting in this one is great and the cast is legendary.  If you had a childhood similar to mine then you already knew Cary Elwes and Danny Glover from some classic 80s staples.  They both bring on very different performances than I was accustomed to but they absolutely nailed it.  Elwes is someone I've always associated with comedic roles and seeing him here really caught me off guard.  Also, writer and actor Leigh Whannell delivers a solid performance but a few of his scenes is a little overacted.  With that aside, I enjoyed his performance very much.  The supporting cast is great and even though he is rarely in the film we can see the beginning stage of what I would consider the face of modern horror with Tobin Bell in his role of Jigsaw.  The story for this one is gritty and claustrophobic at times but I enjoy it for the most part.  I love the disgusting and nauseating sets mixed with the puzzles that force people who have made bad decisions throughout their lives to works.  It also adds another layer to the film when the viewer gets to watch the various traps created for each victim.  With that being said, a few of the scenes are extremely dull and slow with little to no story development for these scenes.  They just go on for no purpose other than to highlight Whannell's acting.  Finally, the film has some seriously entertaining death even if they don't take place on screen.  The practical effects, traps, and your imagination makes this one stand out among viewers.  It's been almost 20 years later and people are still talking about some of the deaths provided in this film.  Overall, Saw is one of the most memorable horror films to come out of the early 2000s and the franchise as a whole is iconic with the Jigsaw puppet reaching pop-culture status.  This UHD release looks amazing but still retains that gritty and dirty look that makes this series so much fun.  I highly recommend upgrading your copy to this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment