Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Great White


Director - Martin Wilson (Roll, I Promise)
Starring - Katrina Bowden (Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Sex Drive), Aaron Jakubenko (Spartacus, Neighbours vs. Zombies), and Kimi Tsukakoshi (Doctor Doctor, The Other Guy)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Take your final breath"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

      I love horror and how broad the genre can be.  There is so many sub-genres with horror and a lot of them can deliver some pretty fun films.  Sharksploitation flicks can be good cheesy fun with movies like 2-Headed Shark Attack, Santa Jaws, and Ghost Shark.  These are the kind of shark flicks I enjoy.  However, there is a different side of these shark flicks that have their own fans.  These shark flicks tend to be more serious in nature which just don't deliver the fun in my opinion.  When I received the press release for RLJE Films release of Great White I was on the fence about it.  I love the cheesy and campy shark flicks but this one still looked entertaining.  I decided to reach out and see about reviewing it and was lucky enough to get a blu sent my way to check out.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a pilot and his girlfriend who are expecting their first child.  He is charted by a Japanese couple to fly out to an isolated island that was the site of a terrible accident where only one person survived.  However, this innocent trip turns deadly when their seaplane is destroyed by a shark and they are forced to survive in a raft floating adrift in the ocean while hungry sharks hunt near them.
     Great White is not one of the films I would go out of my way for which is a damn shame because I really enjoyed it.  As much as I love the goofy side of sharksploitation I still really enjoyed this one.  The acting in this one is great.  The characters are very enjoyable and the reactions and emotions throughout the film are very genuine.  I was shocked to see Bowden in this one after seeing her appear in Tucker and Dale vs Evil and the highly underrated Sex Drive.  The story for this one is simple and straight forward.  I tend to skip on the more serious toned sharksploitation because their unintentional cheese is extremely cheesy.  However, Great White is able to pull off a horrifying shark story without compromising the tone and atmosphere.  I enjoyed the backstory that was presented along with the character development.  It's not often that you find a movie like this where the characters don't blend in with the background.  Finally, the film has some blood and some make-up effects.  During one scene we get a great look at a corpse rotting on the beach that I really enjoyed.  With that being said, the film has some very inconsistent visual effects.  There was some scenes where the visuals looked great but there was a few scenes where the visuals looked very dated and rushed.  Overall, Great White isn't going to be for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I would have loved some gore but I'm not going to cry over it.  I recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment