Saturday, January 8, 2022

All About Alice


Director - Ray Harrison (Always on Sunday, Spy on the Fly)
Starring - Warren Fremming (Mondo Rocco), Chuck Bratton, and Wallace Fredericks
Release Date - 1972
Genre - Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     After a couple days I've finally reached the end of my adventure.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into when AGFA and Something Weird announced the release of What Really Happened to Baby Jane? and the films of Gay Girls Riding Club.  The films, mostly shorts, have been a roller coaster ride of ups and downs but I was surprised by how much fun I actually had with these.  As I begin the last film in the set I can't help but wonder what else Harrison and the group did after the decade they spent making films.  Anyway, the bitter end is here with All About Alice which was a parody of All About Eve.  
     The film follows Alice who is an awarding winning actress that remembers all the struggles, along with the betrayals and double crosses, before she found the success now.
     All About Alice is unique in this set for several reasons.  The first, and obvious reason, is that it is the only one to be filmed in color.  When you combine that with an actual film with dialogue and a much better production value it definitely stands out.  The acting in this one is surprisingly the best out of all the films in the set.  The cast is actually tasked with portraying real characters with personalities and somewhat developed back stories.  The cast does a fantastic job with what they were given while still delivering that high energy and charisma that made the other shorts so much fun.  The story for this one, as I stated earlier, was a parody of All About Eve, which is another film I am not familiar with.  However, I can say that this drag parody is very clever and funny.  The sexual humor was not too common with films of this sort in the early 70s so it's nice to see that every generation has a group of filmmakers that have their heads in the gutter.  However, the film does hit a rut from time to time where the story just lacked something other than characters hamming it up with nothing else productive going on.  I did like the characters but the story given was stretched a bit too thin.  Finally, as you would have guessed it, it's not a bloody flick.  It's a character driven story that has some humor and a lot sex jokes.  Overall, All About Alice is one of the better shorts in this set right behind What Really Happened to Baby Jane?  It's funny and I loved the characters.  It's a damn shame they never followed up this film because I would have loved to see them explore the drag parodies later in the 70s.    

No comments:

Post a Comment