Saturday, January 29, 2022

Retribution


Director - Guy Magar (Werewolf, Children of the Corn: Revelation)
Starring - Dennis Lipscomb (Roswell, The X-Files), Leslie Wing (The Frighteners, Return to Halloweentown), and Suzanne Snyder (Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Return of the Living Dead II)
Release Date - 1987
Genre - Horror/Crime
Tagline - "The ultimate nightmare!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     What I love about boutique labels is how they are often bringing movies to our attention that we had never heard of prior to their releases.  Companies like Severin Films, Blue Underground, Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow Video, and so on have built large followings by releasing forgotten and little known genre films from yesteryear.  When Severin announced that they would be releasing the 1987 horror flick Retribution.  I had never heard of this one before so I was quick to rush to google to see what I could find on the film.  I checked out the trailer and then rushed to MVD to request a review copy.  I didn't care for the title but the artwork and trailer sold me on the film.  Like always, I want to thank MVD and Severin for continuing to support Horror Society!
     The film follows struggling artist George (Lipscomb) who flings himself off the top of his apartment building.  Luckily, he survives and his psychiatrist, Dr. Curtis (Wing), works with him to get his life in order.  Also, one of the residents of his building, Angel (Snyder), starts showing interest in him.  Things are looking up for George, that is until he falls asleep.  When he sleeps he has nightmares that he is killing random people and the following morning he learns that those people were actually murdered.  He starts investigating those that were murdered and finds one connection between them all.  A local gangster died the moment George tried to kill himself and George suspects that he is possessing him while he sleeps in order to tie up loose ends.  
     I went into Retribution blind aside from what I had seen in the trailer and I was completely surprised.  In fact, I fell in love with the film and feel like I've been missing out.  This is the kind of movie I could see myself watching over and over on VHS if I would have discovered it when I was younger.  It quickly became one of my favorite releases from Severin and if this review doesn't inspire you to check it out then I failed at my job.  The acting in this one is very well done but a lot of the characters do bleed into the background.  Lipscomb was great as George while Wing was fantastic as the doctor trying to help him through this living nightmare.  However, I wanted to love Snyder especially after I had recognized who she is and the amazing films she had been in but she was very underwhelming.  Her character was very well written but she acts like she's not invested.  The story for this one is fucking wild and goofy but I fucking loved it.  I loved the shy and reluctant painter finding his way through life after a suicide attempt only to have a former mobster take control of him as he sleep causing chaos.  It's a wild story that sounds goofy as I type it but if you are open to it you will enjoy it.  It has great pacing, awesome atmosphere, and some of the scenes were wild to watch.  Finally, the film has plenty of outdated visual effects that I actually enjoyed along with some great practical and make-up effects.  Some of the deaths scenes were a little more enjoyable than others but they all are fun especially when you see the late 80s visual mixed with them.  Overall, Retribution is a film that I wish I would have seen years ago.  I loved the characters, the story, and the look of the film.  It's campy at times but it's also a lot of fun.  I highly recommend snagging this blu from Severin.  It's well worth the money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment