Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Roman Springs on Mrs. Stone


Director - Ray Harrison (Always on Sunday, What Really Happened to Baby Jane?)
Starring - Antonio Vierra 
Release Date - 1963
Genre - Comedy/Romance
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     I had no idea what to expect when I ordered What Really Happened to Baby Jane? and the Films of the Gay Girls Riding Club.  I knew somewhat about the people behind it but I had no idea what the films in this set was going to be like.  I was underwhelmed by Always on Sunday but the set paid for itself with What Really Happened to Baby Jane?  I couldn't wait to dive deeper into these drag parodies and the third in the set was The Roman Springs on Mrs. Stone which was, as you guess it, another parody.  This time the film was a parody of The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.  I was unfamiliar with the film it drew inspiration from but that didn't stop me from diving into it head first.  
     The film follows a woman who travels to Italy where she meets a young man.  He tricks her into loving him while he conspires with an evil woman.
     I actually enjoyed this one even though I was not familiar with the original film.  I'm sure there was aspects of the film that went over my head but I found it funny and charming the way it was.  The acting in this one is similar to Always on Sunday where we follow overdramatic and eccentric characters as they do extraordinary things.  The cast is fully committed to their roles even though it is apparent that they don't have a lot of on screen experience.  It's still fun to watch all their energy while they are having fun.  The story for this one is difficult to follow but it's mostly the characters and their interactions that makes this one enjoyable.  As I stated earlier, I'm not familiar with the original film so I can't attest to how close it is to it but as a drag film I would have to say it's fun and slightly funny at times.  Finally, the film has no blood and gore which is to be expected from a film like this.  However, if you are looking for an early 60s short with some laughs then this one is for you.  Overall, The Roman Springs on Mrs. Stone is not going to be for everyone and that's alright because it wasn't made for everyone.  It was made for people who like to have fun and have a taste for odd cinema.  It's unique but not replayable.  It's worth your time but nothing life changing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment