Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Dirty Laundry


Director - William Webb (Delta Fever, The Banker)
Starring - Leigh McCloskey (Inferno, Hamburger: The Motion Picture), Jeanne O'Brien, and Robbie Rist (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sharknado)
Release Date - 1987
Genre - Comedy/Crime
Tagline - "It'll take more than soap and water to clean this mess up"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few years back MVD announced that they would be releasing films on blu as part of their new line called the MVD Rewind Collection.  The label was meant bring films that died on VHS to a more modern format.  I was all about this announcement and closely followed all their releases.  Some are horror titles that many of us were waiting for a boutique label to snag along with some long forgotten sci-fi flicks, some action cheeseballs, and the occasional comedy.  When MVD announced the release of the crime comedy Dirty Laundry as part of their Rewind Collection I was hooked.  I jumped as quickly as I could to my email so I could request a copy.  I fucking love 80s cinema and this was one I had never seen before and I was extremely stoked to check it out.  I want to thank MVD for sending this one over for me to review.
     The film follows a young man who visits his local laundromat where a big scene is made when a young couple starts fighting loudly.  A man with a sack full of cash is doing a drug drop at the same time in the laundromat and the two bags get mixed up.  Soon a local drug pin is on the hunt for the young man and a female reporter when they discover he has the bag of cash instead of the bag of his dirty underwear. 
     Dirty Laundry is not going to be the title that many collectors will be wanting to add to their collections but fans of 80s cinema, specifically comedies, will want to check this one out.  I grew up during the video store age and loved renting 80s and early 90s comedies at my local video store, Dewey's Video.  These were some of my fondest memories.  Leaving school on Friday before swinging by the local grocery store for some snacks and then hitting Dewey's to grab a stack of movies and games to get me through the weekend.  I could totally see myself renting this one if I saw it on the shelf at Dewey's when I was younger.  It was a lot of fun but it did feel rushed at times and not thought out.  The acting in this one is great.  I really enjoyed Leigh McCloskey's character even though he was like every male lead in the 80s.  He's arrogant, comical, and overflowing with personality which made the film as fun as it was.  His character reminded me a lot of Grant Cramer's character in Hardbodies.  He's generic, especially for an 80s comedy, but it was a lot of fun.  The supporting cast is solid as well with several cast members delivering some seriously fun performances.  The story for this one is one that has been done several times in comedies.  Hell, if you are my age you may even compare it to the early 90s children's comedy Blank Check and even Dumb and Dumber to some extent.  Comedies centered around organized crime losing money for a teenager or twenty-something to find has been the center of comedies since the 70s or so and I'm sure there was some in the 60s that I'm not familiar with.  My point is, it's not knew or original BUT it still delivers some fun performances and the humor does work.  It doesn't have much of a replay value but it's a great watch if you are looking for something you have never seen before.  Finally, don't expect blood or a body count because you won't find it here.  However, if some light-hearted laughs are more your speed then you are in luck.  Overall, Dirty Laundry is not the release most fans are looking for from boutique labels but I fucking love it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm always open to a new slasher or forgotten zombie flick but films like Dirty Laundry are what I grew up on.  It's fun, well acted, and genuinely entertaining.  I highly recommend this release from MVD.  

No comments:

Post a Comment