Sunday, May 29, 2022

2LDK


Director - Yukihiko Tsutsumi (First Love, The Mourner)
Starring - Maho Nonami (Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge, Bitter Blood), Eiko Koike (Hell's Garden, Black Gospel), and Yoriko Kamimura (Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider Zero-One)
Release Date - 2003
Genre - Drama/Horror
Tagline - "Envious roommates in a duel to the death"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Unearthed Films has released some of the most brutal and shocking genre pieces over the years from their in house produced American Guinea Pig films to their distributed works.  When it comes to extreme horror very few companies do it better.  However, Unearthed has been known to release some standard horror fair.  Not too long ago Unearthed announced the release of the 2003 Japanese dramatic horror film 2LDK.  I was very curious about this one.  The artwork didn't look brutal or graphic which made me very curious about the flick.  I was quick to reach out to my friends over at MVD and they were kind enough to send over a review copy.  Like always I want to thank MVD and Unearthed for hooking me up!
     The film follows two aspiring actresses who just happen to live together.  To applied for the same role which as created hostility between them.  Soon, tensions come to a boil and things turn deadly.
     Honestly, I had no idea what 2LDK was about but in my mind it was sure as hell a lot more interesting.  I loved the idea behind the film but the execution just bored the living shit out of me.  I wanted to love it and I hate writing a negative review for my friends over at Unearthed but this film just wasn't for me.  The acting for this one is decent enough.  The cast is small and the characters have great on screen chemistry but the two main characters are so much alike that the film does become confusing at times.  The cast does a decent enough job in their performances but their lack of distinguishing personalities does make it a bit dull of a watch.  The story for this one is a very interesting spin on a roommate drama that turns deadly in the final moments.  I liked the concept but the way in which the film is done makes for an extremely dull film where we watch two unlikable characters become petty with each other.  Finally, this film is pretty dry until the final moments and then the blood hits.  It's only one quick scene but the effects are great with plenty of blood.  Overall, 2LDK wasn't for me.  It was a pretty cool idea but the long dialogue heavy scenes and lack of progressing story makes it a difficult one for me to finish.  I love Unearth but this release is not for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment