Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Erecting A Monster



Director - Jon Devlin (Pestilence in Silence, Miasma)
Starring - Jon Devlin, Danielle Page (FrankenThug, Strip Club Massacre), and Steve Johnson (The Gorda, Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "It's a big thang!"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Several years ago I befriended actor and director Jon Devlin on social media when he contacted me to review a film that he was in.  Since then I've followed and added him on several different social media platforms where he impresses me daily with his dedication to horror and cult cinema.  I've watched him comment and share his thoughts on mainstream genre films and some rather obscure cult titles.  I've also seen him share news and articles about his projects.  No one can question his love for cinema and when he contacted me to watch his short Erecting a Monster you can bet your sweet ass and half a tit that I wouldn't pass up this opportunity.  I want to take a moment to thank Jon for reaching out to Horror Society to check this one out.
     The film follows a young man who is struggling to be intimate with his foxy lady.  After trying to find comfort with a friend about his "issue" he finds himself the center of a joke but is instructed to seek help elsewhere about his problem.  He follows his instructions and finds help from someone unusual who is able to help him awaken his member but at what costs?
     Erecting A Monster is one of those shorts that just pisses you off and for various reasons.  Obviously, I loved it given that I gave it a four out of five but I can still be pissed off at something I love.  The first thing that seriously pisses me off is the fact that it's a short.  This story could have been so much fun as a feature length film.  The short is around 6 or 7 minutes long which is not enough for this wild ass story.  The movie could easily be stretched to reach 60 minutes or even a standard run time.  The other thing that pisses me off is that it's a story that I did not create.  It's so simple yet so perfect.  It makes me so fucking angry that it was someone else's idea and not mine.  Regardless, Jon did a fantastic job with this short and I hope he follows up to it soon.  The acting in this one is solid.  The cast is small and most have several indie productions under their belt.  They are all comfortable in front of the camera and their emotions feel sincere for the most part.  The characters are a little flat and generic but the cast does the best with what they were given.  The story for this one is the kind of story that made me fall in love with indie cinema.  A guy who can't get it up finds his johnson turned into a monster after visiting a witch/gypsy is the kind of movie that I could watch over and over again.  However, the problem with Erecting a Monster is that it's over as soon as it begins.  So much could happen after the short ends and we are only left wondering what sort of mis-adventures he could find himself in now that his pecker has awoken.  I love shorts but this is one that deserve much more.  Finally, the film has a moment at the end that horror fans will enjoy with decent practical effects.  However, if you are looking for gore and a body count then you will be very disappointed.  Overall, Erecting a Monster is a short that not only revitalizes my love for indie horror but a grown man with a good sense of humor can make a horror film out of a dick joke.  If you ever find yourself with the opportunity to check this one out I highly suggest you do so.  It's a lot of fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment