Friday, May 20, 2022

Sewer Gators


Director - Paul Dale (Silent But Deadly, Chosen)
Starring - Manon Pages (Purgatory Road, The Purge), Austin Naulty (Hell Heist, Preacher), and Kenny Bellau (Bad Grandmas, Fast Food and Cigarettes)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "It's gonna be a crappy day"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I receive dozens of press releases a day.  Some look interesting while others look like something I wouldn't enjoy.  However, it's not everyday that a movie shows up in my email that makes me immediately want to watch it.  A few weeks ago I was working on my reviews for Alligator 1 and 2 for Scream Factory when I just happened to receive a press release for the indie horror comedy Sewer Gators.  This was one of the few instances where I had to see it sooner than later.  I reached out through the email and was able to secure a screening link for this one.  Like always, I want to thank them for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check this out.
     The film follows an alcohol abusing small town sheriff who is investigating a series of murders that looks like they are done by alligators that make their way through the toilets.  Standing in his way is the mayor who refuses to cancel their annual gator festival and a journalist looking for his next big scoop.  
     Sewer Gators was not what I was expecting at all.  It was a movie that struggled to find it's own identity.  The artwork, tagline, and trailer paints a no budget comedy that parodies both Alligator films.  However, the reality is that it's a dry no budget indie horror movie that lacks originality and devoid of any type of humor.  God knows I wanted to love this one but I couldn't find anything enjoyable with it.  The acting in this one is isn't the worst I've seen but it is clearly evident that most of the cast is inexperienced.  They deliver the best performances they can but there was a few scenes that were awkward to watch.  As I said earlier, these are not bad performances but they are inexperienced.  The story for this one made me think it was going to be a parody of Alligator since it featured several elements from the film but that wasn't the case at all.  The movie follows a cop who is tasked with stopping a gator in the sewer while those in political power scoff at the notion which is the same plot of the two Alligator films.  The "humor" tossed at us in this one misses it's mark and a no budget take on the classic creature feature leaves a lot of room for improvement.  In fact, the story is so dull I had to re-watch it several times because I kept tuning out.  The movie could have been something fun if it would have tried something original and had some laughs that were effective.  Finally, don't expect a blood bath because you won't find it here.  There is some fake gators and a lot of cheap visuals but that's the extent of it.  Overall, Sewer Gators is the biggest disappointment of the year.  I thought it would be some no budget fun but that was not to be had.  Sadly, I have to suggest everyone skip this one because you will be just as disappointed as I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment