Wednesday, August 31, 2022

L.A. Aids Jabber


Director - Drew Godderis
Starring - Justin Godderis (Road to Red), Marcy Lynn, and Justin Mack (Teen Perspective)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Crime/Horror
Tagline - "Jeff has just contracted a fatal disease, but he is a very giving person... now all his friends have it"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Wild Eye Releasing is one of my favorite companies because they pride themselves on giving indie releases a voice.  A lot of these films would get looked over if it wasn't for Wild Eye and companies like them.  When I saw that Wild Eye was expanding into blu releases with their Visual Vengeance I knew it would be a continuation of what they were doing with DVD.  When I saw that they were bringing The Necro Files to blu I was excited to revisit this one along with the other film they announced which was 1994's L.A. Aids Jabber.  This was one I was not familiar with and was looking forward to checking it out.  The film was originally released on VHS as Jabber but from my knowledge it had never been released on disc.  I reached out to Wild Eye and MVD and they were kind enough to send a copy over to check out.  I'm glad they did because I absolutely enjoyed this one.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a young man who receives word that he is H.I.V. positive.  He's rather unstable and the news excited him a little too much.  He decides to share his new burden with anyone that pisses him off.  He starts putting his blood in syringes and injecting it into those that have inconvenienced his life.  Soon the police catch on and try to stop him before the news breaks.  However, they fail to do so which creates a bit of a panic around the case making it a little more difficult for them to track down the jabber.  
     The L.A. Aids Jabber was a movie that looked interesting but deep down I wasn't convinced that I would enjoy it.  However, after about 15 minutes into the film I knew I would love it... and I did.  Sure, it was rough around the edges and a bit questionable but I absolutely adored it.  Visual Vengeance really did something special with this release and I'm glad they were able to bring it to genre fans.  The acting in this one is a bit hit or miss with me.  We have a lot of volume control issues where people yell as a way of showing emotions instead of relying on facial expressions and gestures.  Aside from the volume control issues in many of the scenes I found myself actually enjoying the cast for the most part especially those playing the detectives.  They were natural in front of the camera and really fit the part.  The story for this one is straight and to the point.  However, it does feel like a crime drama at times instead of a typical horror film.  We have the terrifying story of someone poking strangers with Aids in a more grounded and crude version of Agoni but most of the film is spent with the detective trying to track him down and stop him.  This aspect of the film felt like something you would find on day-time cable.  Don't get me wrong, it was still enjoyable but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Finally, the film has blood but don't expect a gory flick with a body count.  The title and story is meant to be shocking but it's not as shocking now as it would have been during its initial release during the height of the Aids scare.  Overall, L.A. Aids Jabber is another must own from Visual Vengeance.  It's a movie that went unnoticed until they were kind enough to give it the release it deserves.  Collectors and movie fans alike need to snag this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment