Monday, October 17, 2022

Hellraiser


Director - David Bruckner (Southbound, V/H/S)
Starring - Odessa A'zion (Ghosts, Let's Scare Julie), Jamie Clayton (Sense8, Chain of Death), and Adam Faison (Friend Request, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Hulu)

Rating (out of 5):


     I have a lot of controversial opinions with horror. Most people hate my take on the wildly popular Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise. I regard the first film as one of the most important films in horror cinema but I prefer to watch TCM II, Leatherface: TCM III, and Next Generation. Another “hot take” of mine is regarding the Hellraiser series. I like the first two installments enough but Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is my favorite of the series. Hell, I even dig the later films to some extent. When news broke that Hellraiser was getting a reboot I was actually looking forward to it. I was even more intrigued when I learned that Jamie Clayton was cast as the Hell Priest, aka Pinhead. When it arrived on Hulu I knew I had to watch it after Werewolf by Night. I’m glad I did because I fucking loved it. It’s up there with the third film for me. 
      The film follows a recovering addict who is kicked out of her brother’s apartment when he suspects that she has relapsed. Her boyfriend and her broke into a storage container and found the puzzle box assuming it was something of value. However, with each passing transformation of the box someone she knows is taken. Unaware as to what is going on, she is just a pawn to a much bigger game orchestrated by a wealthy man who is wanting to use the box to obtain immortality. 
      I’ve noticed that Hellraiser has split the horror community which is common for releases in recent years which is so fucking strange because this film was great. It brought some much needed Cenobite development to the series and a story that is more than just BDSM and body modification. For me, it works and I can’t wait to watch it again. The acting in this one is decent but I had some issues with the major casting. I wasn’t feeling Odessa A’zion and Drew Starkey as the leads. A’zion doesn’t carry the film for me. Her performance feels rather flat and I found myself not liking her at all. In fact, I was waiting on her character to find a gory end as the film progressed. Starkey was a stretch as well for me. He was loud and his emotion range as Kristen Stewart. He looked confused and bewildered the entire time. When he was told to react I’m sure the director didn’t mean like a deer caught in headlights. With that being said, I rather enjoyed the remainder of the cast. The Cenobites are fucking fantastic. They really got into character and gave us something that will stick with us. The supporting cast is surprising well done as well. The story for this one does make some noticeable changes set forth in the original franchise but I’m happy with them. The film takes it’s time to build tension and suspense while fully engulfing itself in the dark and brooding atmosphere that is prevalent in the original films. I loved the additional Cenobites introduced in this one and the lore around the puzzle box that was updated to fit the film. It gives us a little more depth that the original films lacked. Finally, I loved the make-up effects and designs in this one. The Cenobites looked amazing and the new Pinhead is just as amazing as Doug Bradley’s original depiction. The film has some bloody moments that blend practical and visual effects but the highlight of the film is the Cenobites and their unique looks. Overall, Hellraiser is easily one of my favorite installments in this legendary franchise. I can’t wait to see what sights they have in store for us in future films. I highly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment