Sunday, October 16, 2022

Two Witches


Director - Pierre Tsigaridis (I Who Have No One)
Starring - Rebekah Kennedy (Creature, The Curse of Babylon), Kristina Klebe (Halloween, Zone of the Dead), and Tim Fox (Westworld, Shameless)
Release Date - 2021
Tagline - "Witches don't die before leaving their legacy..."
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Arrow Video is an important company to most horror fans. Their re-release of genre titles on blu has brought some seriously underrated flicks to disc. I absolutely love adding their releases to my collection and I hope this is something that I’ll be doing for many more years to come. Aside from their re-releasing of older titles, Arrow has released some new flicks that would have flown under our radars normally. A few days back I received a press release regarding some new films that was launching on Arrow’s streaming service. After sharing the news on the site I was sent over a review link for the horror flick Two Witches. This one had been on my radar for some time and I was excited to add it to my October horror binge. I want to thank my friend Justin and Arrow Video for sending the link over.       The film begins with a young couple expecting their first child. While out to dinner the young mother to be spots an older woman starring at her. That night things go a little dark for her. Her boyfriend suspects that it’s all in her head or hormones acting up due to the pregnancy but when they visit a psychic healer things take a grim turn. The second portion of the film follows a young woman and her roommate. The woman suspects she is a witch after a sexual encounter sends her down a murderous path. 
      Two Witches was nothing like the handful of posters I had seen for it. I was expecting an atmospheric tale with witches for this Halloween season. Sadly, that was not the case. The film is a lengthy anthology consisting of two segments similar to George A. Romero and Dario Argento’s Two Evil Eyes. The acting in this one is very well done. The cast really goes all out and they work so well together. The characters are written in a way that you either really like them or you hate them. The cast does a fantastic job at bringing those aspects out of the viewer. Both segments are well acted and the casting is fantastic. The two stories in this one is hit and miss for me and from what I’ve seen in other reviews I feel as if that’s common for most that have seen the film. I liked the first segment pretty well. I liked the witch and the pregnant woman aspect. Witches and baby napping and baby feasting is the type of folklore I love seeing in films. It could have been in a different manner with a little more emphasis on the witch instead of the expecting hipster couple. The second story is a step away from the folk horror that makes witch flicks so enjoyable for me. It is a bit more grounded than the first segment and more horror oriented but it doesn’t gain as much traction as the first segment does. It had the potential to be something much more visceral but chose to be a character piece instead of a gruesome story. Finally, the film has some moments of solid tension and suspense along with one scene with great practical effects. However, it’s not the bloodbath most horror fans are looking for this Halloween season. Overall, Two Witches starts out with a very promising story with great atmosphere and a solid cast of characters but moves to a story that just doesn’t work or fits the film in my opinion. It’s a decent first time watch but has no replay value.

No comments:

Post a Comment