Tuesday, October 18, 2022

The Guest Room


Director - Stefano Lodovichi (Christian, The Trail)
Starring - Guido Caprino (That Dirty Black Bag, My Body Will Bury You), Camilla Filippi (Deep in the Wood, Thou Shalt Kill), and Edoardo Pesce (Dogman, Ghost Night)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror/Thriller
Tagline - "One room.  One night"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     
     We are a little over halfway through October and I’ve seen some amazing horror flicks so far during my month long binge. Most of the films I’ve reviewed were new to me but a handful were actually new releases that really hit the spot as I prepared for Halloween. Several weeks back a friend of mine that runs a PR firm sent over a press release for the Italian horror/thriller The Guest Room. The film’s artwork didn’t do much for me but the trailer painted a much different picture. After I posted the press release to the site I was gifted a screener link. I figured it would make a welcomed addition to my October horror binge. 
      The film follows a young woman who is at the end of her will to live when she answers the door. She is greeted by a complete stranger who asks to be invited in. After several attempts to dissuade him she finally grants him access to her home. Soon a strange series of events with him leads to her having lunch with him that he had cooked for her. Soon her husband, who is no longer in love with her, arrives to check on her and her child after he received a text from her. Now the two are trying to figure out who he is they soon find themselves bound by him and forced to reveal hidden secrets to each other. 
      The Guest Room is not at all what I was expecting but I fucking loved it. It does get a bit absurd nearing the film’s final leg, but it is still a very enjoyable thriller with a lot of character development and a story that is not predictable. It’s not really the type of movie I’m looking for during the month of Halloween but it didn’t disappoint either. The acting in this one is great. The cast is very small but they all work fantastically well together. I loved how the characters had such contrasting personalities and how far the cast went to bring those traits to life. I don’t think this movie would have stood out like it does if someone else was to take over these roles. The story for this one doesn’t really feel like a traditional home invasion film but it does borrow some of the elements. Instead, it’s a character driven story with a lot of backstory than most films. It does get a bit weird and out there during the last portion of the film that I could have lived without but the overall story is very well written and adapted. Finally, the film has some blood but nothing that impressive. We get some make-up effects and a little blood splatter but that is the extent of it. Overall, The Guest Room is not the horror treat you are looking for this Halloween season but it is a well crafted thriller that I highly recommend. This one is well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment