Starring - Suzzanna (White Crocodile Queen, Santet 2), William Alvin, and Dimaz Andrean (Setannya Cuan, El: The Movie)
Release Date - 2008
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Suzzanna returns"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)
Rating (out of 5):
I'm a fan of early 2000s horror. I was in high school in the early 2000s and this was the time I really found myself becoming obsessed with the genre. It was during these years that my movie collection grew substantially. After snagging some must own genre titles, I quickly took a deep dive into indie and no budget cinema. Companies like Midnight Release, Tempe Video, and so on were my go to. I never expected that I would be reviewing a late 2000's Indonesian no budget horror film that found it's way into a boxset from my friends over at Severin. The final film in the Suzzanna: Empress of Darkness is the 2008 supernatural tale Hantu Ambulance. I want to take a moment and thank Severin for sending this one over for review.
The film follows a young man who is moving away from his family home to be closer to school. His grandmother tries to talk him out of it but he is unwilling to listen but soon learns that his family is cursed. His grandmother made a deal wit ha benevolent force for fortunes if she provides it with a sacrifice. She did not keep up with her end of the bargain and now it is taking her family from her one by one.
I had no idea what to expect when I tossed this one in. I knew it was a newer film but it wasn't until I was putting the review together that I learned that it was Suzzanna's last film and her first feature film in almost 20 years after taking a hiatus to deal with health issues. Sadly. this is easily the worst film in the set and one that I struggled to finish. The acting in this one is very awkward. The Bollywood style camp and cheese that made the first three films in the set so fun are now replaced with a more serious tone. Most of the cast lacks on screen experience which makes a lot of these "serious" scenes feel a bit awkward. The cast really tries to get into their roles but the lack of experience and emptions makes many of the scenes unintentionally funny. The story for this one uses the severely underrated generational curse lore that I've been fortunate enough to read in several novels and stories through the years but rarely see as the focus of film. This would have works in a J-Horror style film if they didn't toss in the random ambulance storyline with some of the random encounters that take place. It feels as if the story was never finished and the filmmakers used what resources they had with the little budget left to piece something together. I seriously wanted to like this story but it's missing so much. Finally, the film tries to offer some jump scares but they never work and the practical effects that you would expect from a film featuring Suzzanna are nowhere to be found. The movie doesn't give us the death scenes we would like and the effects we do get are forgettable. Overall, Hantu Ambulance is a missed opportunity all around from the acting and story to the death scenes. I sincerely hate that this is the last film Suzzanna appeared in because it's difficult to finish. I hate to say it but I would skip this one.



No comments:
Post a Comment