Starring - Clift Sangra (Suzzanna: Buried Alive, Suzzanna: Witchcraft), Joko Anwar (Reunion Z, Macabre), and Gope T. Samtani (Ghost in the Cell, Smothered)
Release Date - 2024
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The mysterious true story of Indonesia's iconic horror star"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)
Rating (out of 5):
I don't know why the set is packed in the order that it was but I'm too lazy to take the time to see what order the films in the Suzzanna: Empress of Darkness were released. Instead, I'm just pulling then out one by one with the fourth film being the 2024 documentary Suzzanna: The Queen of Black Magic which should not be confused with the 1981 film The Queen of Black Magic starring Suzzanna herself. Honestly, I was kind of excited to check out the doc so I could learn more about this Indonesian horror legend that I had never heard of before.
The film explores the early works and extrordinary career of Indonesia's biggest horror star, Suzzanna.
The legend of Suzzanna is one that I find extremey underrated especially after watching this documentary. I never realized just how prolific and incrimental her films were to not only the horror community in Indonesia, but also, the Indonesian movie industry in general. The interviews in this one range from family friends, acquantices, fans, and those inspired by her work to pursue film. We get a wide range of interviews with an even wider range of backgrounds and connections to the legend. The topics discussed range from her life before her iconic career to her career, her hiatus from filming, and then her reemergence as on of the biggest horror icons in the country. They are in chronoligical order and carry a lot of information. Finally, the film is very well editing and pieced together. The transitions are not overwhelming and work great for the type of documentary that they are going for. Overall, Suzzanna: The Queen of Black Magic is the movie that I wish I had watched first when I started checking out this set. It's very informative and really opened my eyes as to how important Suzzanna is to horror history. I highly recommend it.



No comments:
Post a Comment